ActiveX ComboBox Factory Talk Vew

BillRobinson

Anybody ever use a ComboBox in Factorytalk view? I've been playing with the microsoft forms 2.0 activex components with some success, but I can't seem to populate the enteries/list in a ComboBox. I'd like to use either a parameter file or a string array stored in the PLC.

Doesn't really matter at this point, vb code/parameterfile/plc adresses etc. I'm looking to have a few options in the list so an operator can choose one item out of the list.

Ok,

I've been able to drop an ActiveX Control "Microsoft Forms 2.0 ComboBox" into a display, but I'm not sure how to put entries in the drop-down list. Let say i want to put 4 text entries {alpha, beta, gamma, delta} in the combobox so that when you click the down arrow on the object, you get to select one item out of the list. My problem is I have no idea how to get those four items in the drop-down list to begin with.

You're going to have to write VBA code to do it. You also need to expose the control to VBA. It's in the property panel for the control.

Having said that, I'm not a big fan of using these controls in FTView. My biggest issue is when I develop a screen on my computer, then deploy it on another, I've had version issues with the control. Sometimes the control is just displayed as a gray cross-hatch rectangle. All sorts of programs "update" the Microsoft common controls, so mismatches are likely.

In the VBA editor for the screen:

ComboBox_Month.AddItem "January"
ComboBox_Month.AddItem "February"
ComboBox_Month.AddItem "March"
ComboBox_Month.AddItem "April"

as an example. I was using it to pick a month for historial data.

You're going to have to write VBA code to do it. You also need to expose the control to VBA. It's in the property panel for the control.

Having said that, I'm not a big fan of using these controls in FTView. My biggest issue is when I develop a screen on my computer, then deploy it on another, I've had version issues with the control. Sometimes the control is just displayed as a gray cross-hatch rectangle. All sorts of programs "update" the Microsoft common controls, so mismatches are likely.

Second That.
I had a recent customer with a failed FTVSE(L.) app, and the OEM used a third-party ActiveX library.
Upon finally reloading a new/fresh computer, and going thru the license transfer, it was a fail, because the ActiveX that the OEM used are 100% invisible to me, no files, no 'uninstall' trail.
Where do they keep these things, andway,
and, more to the OP's response post....
If you can't transport the APP to a deployed machine with Application Manager, what good is ActiveX?
And, FLAME OFF, for all the purist propeller heads who will use this as a platform to extol the virtues of this technology...