Factory talk view and rslogix5000

ronaca88

Hi everyone. Im doing a project in two differents computer. One person is doing the code in the RSLOGIX5000 in one computer and the other is doing the HMI Design. The question is: How can the HMI import the tags from the RSLOGIX5000 program. Im doing the HMI and want to direct reference each object to the tag in the plc program

Thanks in advance.

I recommend using 'Offline Tag Browsing'.

You need to get a copy of the RSLogix 5000 project file (*.ACD). The controller programmer can give you frequently updated copies, or you can use a common networked drive that allows you both to access the project file.

In RSLinx Classic, you can associate a Shortcut with the offline *.ACD file using the offline file path field at the bottom of the RSLinx Enterprise shortcut configuration screen.

Once you have a valid shortcut (it doesn't need to be connected, just configured as a valid controller) associated with a *.ACD file, you will have an 'Offline' folder that allows you to browse the ControlLogix tags in the RSLogix 5000 project file.

How can I create a valid shortcut? Im in the /RSLinx Enterprise communication setup window on FT. In the upper right corner are two tabs. Design (Local) and Runtime (Target). In both the options are a virtual back-plane where the valid controller it is supposed to be added. The thing is that my controller (1756-L71) is not available. Then, in the upper left corner of the communication setup windows is an option called "Device Shortcut", when a new shortcut is added and the offline tag file path is selected, the message is "Select a different path because (a name) cannot be used. I'm a little lost here, can you help me.
Thanks in advance.

If you have access to the actual controller on the network, the easiest thing to do is browse to it and create a Shortcut pointing to that controller.

The alternative is to manually create a Shortcut that points to a 'fake' controller. RSLinx Enterprise will complain that it cannot connect to the controller, but the Offline Browsing feature will still work.

You can create a 'fake' controller in the Virtual Backplane, or create one that is actually like the controller you plan to use, on the network you plan to use.

Creating a manual Shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise isn't intuitive, but I happen to have a session open here so I'll walk through the steps. I'm going to use some default or common values so you'll have to fill in your actual values.

1. Open the RSLinx Enterprise -> Communications Setup window in FactoryTalk View Studio.

2. In the Device Shortcuts pane, click 'Add' and give the new Shortcut a name. Leave this shortcut highlighted in that pane.

3. In the Design (Local) tab, under the RSLinx enterprise, select the "EtherNet, Ethernet" driver. Right-click and select 'Add Device'.

4. From the EtherNet/IP Devices folder, select a 1756-ENBT device. Choose the most similar device to yours; I chose a "1756-ENBT/A, Major Revision 6".

5. Give that ENBT module an IP address that matches the IP address of the module you plan to use later. Leave the 'Slot' value at 16 if you don't know the Slot Number that the ENBT will be in.

6. Click on the ENBT icon to show the '1756-A17/B' backplane object. Right-click on that and select Add Device.

7. Select a 1756-L71 controller, with a matching major firmware revision. I chose Major Revision 20. Set the Slot number field to the actual Slot number of the controller, which is often 0.

8. Make sure that that the Device Shortcut and the ControlLogix CPU are both highlighted, and click the 'Apply' button in the Device Shortcuts pane. This associates the Shortcut with the path to the controller.

9. With the Shortcut highlighted, click the 'Browse...' button in the Offline Tag File field and browse to the *.ACD file for your ControlLogix project.

10. Once you have selected the *.ACD file, click the [OK] button at the bottom of the window.

Now that you have a Shortcut that's associated with a controller, you should be able to browse the Offline folder in RSLinx Enterprise for the tags that are in the *.ACD file.

Another hint: right-click on the 'EtherNet, Ethernet' driver and select 'Stop Browsing'.

RSLinx Enterprise tries to be helpful by constantly browsing the network and removing from visibility the devices it doesn't find, which can be counterproductive when you are intentionally creating devices that don't exist on the network yet.