New 32/64 bit S7 communication library -Open Source-

davenardella

Hi All,
I published to sourceforge a library for communicating with S7300/400/1200/1500 PLC and SINAMICS drives.
This is not (only) an usual driver for reading/writing data into a PLC, but a set of three components that allow the full integration of a PC into a PLC chain.

The Client to read/write data into a PLC and to control it (run/stop, set/clear password and so on).
The Server to connect any HMI panel/scada to your application, which will be seen as a real PLC.
The Partner to manage "unsolicited" data transfer from a PLC (which uses BSend/BRecv)

Supported platforms:

• Windows
  • Linux
  • BSD
  • Solaris

Supported Architectures:
  • Intel/AMD - 32/64 bit for all platforms supported.
  • ARM (Raspberry, pcDuino, BeagleBoard, CubieBoard2).

Supported Languages:
  • Delphi/FreePascal
  • .NET/Mono (the interface assembly is written in C#)
  • C/C++
  • LabVIEW

Comments, criticism and suggestions to improve and bug fix the library are warmly welcomed.

I hope can help..

Thanks for your time.
Dave

http://snap7.sourceforge.net
http://www.facebook.com/snap7.project

I want to remark that this is not a commercial advertisement, the project is free and open source.

Thanks for the work here. It will take a bit of playing with and experimentation but will let you know how it goes. Am busy for the next couple of weeks but should have some time after that. I managed to interface libnodave to AdvancedHMI, don't know if I can manage that level of brain ache again but will certainly give it a look.

I am impressed with the extensive and very clear information you have put together.
If only Siemens were just as good at explaining things !
I also like that you are going 100% ethernet, and not wasting your time with MPI or PPI.

Hi
Snap7 is very nice, I tested with success with python wrapper.
I have an error with CPU 1500 when I try loading/unloading function blocks.
It works fine with 300 CPU.
Protocol not implemented ?
It seems libnodave don't works either to load 1500 CPU.
Is still the .mc7 extension on 1200-1500 ?
Thanks for help and explanations.

The S7-1200 and S7-1500 are using a completely different protocol that the S7-300/400. The only thing they have in common, is that both are using ISO-protocol on top of TCP.

The 1200/1500 only supports variable access (reading and writing data areas) to not optimized datablocks. Means, to not optimized datablocks you can get access with communication libraries like snap7 or libnodave. In new firmware versions of these CPUs, you have to enable Put/Get communication in hardware setting of the CPU if you want to enable the "classic" access mode.

Oooooh, this looks interesting.
Been using Libnodave with great success for about a year now, think I'm going to give this one a try also....

I did some tinkering with this a while back. I wrote some basic stuff in C#. I am by no means a computer programmer, I just like to play around.

But I found it very easy to implement and the documentation was very clear.

Thanks for creating this :):geek:

I want to send my appreciation for your extensive work on this. A few months ago I was referencing your documentation and code in order to understand the Siemens protocol. My hopes are to develop a pure .NET Siemens driver for AdvancedHMI by the end if this year.

Archie;637819My hopes are to develop a pure .NET Siemens driver for AdvancedHMI by the end if this year.[/QUOTE said:
Thats great to hear Archie. I was thinking of attempting something like that but i am not the strongest computer programmer.

But i should be able to help test and debug :)

Thanks to Thomas v2 and davenardella for their response and explanation about S7-1200-1500 protocol.
Maybe we are a few use uploading and downloading blocks functions. In my work we use with libnodave. As Siemens stop the marketing of 300,400 series CPU within about 3 years , it would be helpful to my mind to develop the S71200-1500 protocol. Also, updating date and time, run/stop control run only with new protocol. I would like to try to do, but I'm not about to do that. Will has a project in this direction with libnodave or/and snap7? I will try S7comm Wireshark dissector to watch what is going on.

I want to send my appreciation for your extensive work on this. A few months ago I was referencing your documentation and code in order to understand the Siemens protocol. My hopes are to develop a pure .NET Siemens driver for AdvancedHMI by the end if this year.

Did you ever end up developing a Siemens drive for AdvancedHMI?