1746-bas pic and hyperterminal

controlconcepts

Lifetime Supporting Member
I cant find any documentation as to if you can use the DH-485 port with a PIC and hyperterminal. I can see the BAS in rslinX but cant open the port in any ASCII terminal software. The reason is I think I may have a bad port #2 so I am tring to connect thru the DH-485 port.
Thanks,
Matt

I have it connected that way right now. The problem is i suspect port #2 is bad. So I want to use port 1 as the ASCII port and the DH-485 port as the programmer.
Thanks,
Matt

I am wondering if the first ASCII sent needs to setup the address you want to send to. Anyone have any experince on monitioring a DH-485 thru a terminal console?
Thanks,
Matt

Has anyone ever looked at the comms on a dh-485 network thru Hyperterminal of other software? There has to be a way to connect
Thanks,
Matt

you should be able to connect if you have the jumper on the card to set the dh485 port to program port. look at page 3-5 of the user manual.
[URL="http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um004_-en-p.pdf

When the jumpers are set for DH-485 as the programing port I can see the module in RSLINX and can see on the module the DH-485 light is on. As soon as hyperterminal has opened the port the light on the module goes off. From what I can think of is I need a terminal program that is used for a network as there can be 32 nodes.
Thanks,
Matt

Something similar happened to me I installed a used basic module and couldn't get it communicate no matter what I tried. There was a burned spot on the board so I guessed it was the card and not me. Replacing it with a new (used) one fixed me right up.

Its been a couple of weeks since I looked in the manual but I did not think the DH485 port could be used for ASCII communication.

It looks like with the pbase software what you are wanting to do would work. However everybody says it is overpriced and virtually worthless. I guess this might be a case where it is not.

"The development software enables you to program the module from a personal computer connected to either the module’s DH485 or PRT1 ports. The software allows direct access to the module through terminal emulation over an RS-232/423 or DH485 network." From 1746-UM004B-EN-P.​

Thanks Glen... I was not thinking on this one I removed the jumper and set it for Com1 to be the programming port with communications and got in ad uploaded the file thanks for helping out!! It was configured and has settings in the code to use the DH-485 port as a means of programming? With settings like this

MODE (DH485,19200,0,1,1,,R)

So is this how you would set the address, node, or usage on the net work?

Yes you can change the settings in the program. You can also program the settings when the program is not running. However I am pretty sure the settings choosen in the program overrids the setting done before the program is run.