Logix 5000 Security

Tim Ganz

Using Logix 5000 V20 I see a lot of the new advanced program security features but I don't see where you can apply a simple password like in RsLogix 5 and RsLogix 500.

A co-worker here said that earlier versions of RsLogix 5000 like 15,16,17 had the simple password feature like RsLogix 5 and 500 and that it was removed when these newer / better security features were included just wanted to know if this was correct?

Why would they take that away. Here we would just like to use the simple password like we do on 5 and 500.

Tim Ganz said:
Using Logix 5000 V20 I see a lot of the new advanced program security features but I don't see where you can apply a simple password like in RsLogix 5 and RsLogix 500.

Tim,

Just to clarify...

The 'simple password' you are referring is used to protect the controller it self. The 'new advanced program security features' you mention are not only to protect the controller, but also intellectual property i.e. the project, or parts of it, such as Add On Instructions.

The methods used to password protect RSLogix5/500 based controllers and RSLogix5000 based controllers differ somewhat.

RSLogix5 and RSLogix500 use methods from within the programming software.

RSLogix5 uses 'Passwords and Privileges' and the 'Master Password'.

RSLogix500 uses the 'Password' tab under 'Controller Properties' and also provides a 'Master Password' feature.

RSLogix5000 based controllers, up to v19, use a separate software, 'Logix CPU Security Tool', to set password protection for the controller. This is the feature I think you're looking for Tim?

Unfortunately, controllers at v20, or above, no longer use the 'Logix CPU Security Tool' to secure the controller. Instead, the FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP), and more specifically within FTSP, FactoryTalk Security (FTS), has take control of all security features.

Various permissions to the project, or parts of it, and or access to the controller it self, are assigned to a 'FactoryTalk Security Authority', which resides on the 'FactoryTalk Network Directory'. To associate the controller, and it's project, with the 'Security Authority', you must check the 'Use only the selected Security Authority for Authentication and Authorization' on the 'Security' tab under 'Controller Properties'. The 'FactoryTalk Network Directory', containing the 'Security Authority', must then be available for a user to access the controller and project at the user's assigned privilege level.

From what I know, Rockwell are, hence forth, centralizing all security features for Studio 5000 software and hardware assets to within FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP).

In short, Tim, there is no longer a 'simple password' option for v20, or above, controllers.

Tim Ganz said:
...Why would they take that away...

The 'simple password' options, for all RSLogix based controllers, have been susceptible to certain vulnerabilities over the years. This, I suppose, is what has led them to beefing up security features to this extent.

Some more info...

473903 - Securing a version 20 Logix processor without Logix CPU Security Tool
Access Level: TechConnect

I'm a little bit busy at the moment, but if you need any other info on using FactoryTalk Security to secure your v20 controllers, ask away, and I, or I'm sure others, will be happy to help.

George

George

We have some controllers at 20 and above and some that are below. I am going to start with the units that are below and start with the Logix CPU Security Tool.

Thanks for Helping me understand this a little better.