Mynah VIM Ethernet/IP communicate with Allen Bradley PLCs

epicnote

[FONT=&quot]Hello guys,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In my customer site, they have a few systems that used various types of Allen Bradley PLCs (SLC 5/03, CompactLogix L32E, ControlLogix L55 and MicroLogix 1200). All of the PLC systems are going to communicate with Emerson DeltaV DCS using Mynah VIM Ethernet/IP module. For SLC 5/03 and MicroLogix 1200, I am going to use Ch0 (DF1) connect to 1761-NET-ENI and Class 3 protocol. While for CompactLogix and ControlLogix, I am going to use built-in Ethernet port at CompactLogix and 1756-ENBT for ControlLogix and the protocol is Class 1.

My question now:

1) What is the minimum firmware revision for the PLC in order to establish communication with Mynah VIM Ethernet/IP module especially that old ControlLogix L55?

2) Is there require EDS file for RSLinx to recognize Mynah VIM Ethernet/IP module?

Thanks in advance
[/FONT]

As far as I know, there is no minimum firmware revision for a Mynah VIM to communicate with ControlLogix. If there is, Emerson should be able to tell you.

The EDS file won't matter except for viewing the Mynah VIM icon in an RSLinx Classic network browse. It has nothing to do with the VIM's ability to connect to the ControlLogix.

In my experience, DeltaV/Mynah VIM modules do not implement an inter-poll delay, which tends to consume communications bandwidth of the ControlLogix and degrade the performance of the ControlLogix control system.

My opinion on the matter is very negative, but it is also several years in the past, so I am not going to post on it here. It's not what you asked.

As far as I know, there is no minimum firmware revision for a Mynah VIM to communicate with ControlLogix. If there is, Emerson should be able to tell you.

The EDS file won't matter except for viewing the Mynah VIM icon in an RSLinx Classic network browse. It has nothing to do with the VIM's ability to connect to the ControlLogix.

In my experience, DeltaV/Mynah VIM modules do not implement an inter-poll delay, which tends to consume communications bandwidth of the ControlLogix and degrade the performance of the ControlLogix control system.

My opinion on the matter is very negative, but it is also several years in the past, so I am not going to post on it here. It's not what you asked.

Hi Ken, thanks for your fast response anyway, what do you mean by very negative here? Does the VIM module cause a lot of trouble?

A few more questions, what is the difference between 1761-NET-ENI Series C and Series D? Is there any minimum firmware revision/series for 1761-NET-ENI?

Because you are asking the question directly, I will answer and I will try to keep it factual.

The VIM module configuration has a field for "inter-scan delay" or "poll delay"; I don't recall the actual label.

In my analysis, this field had no effect on the actual function of the module. You can set it for 100 ms, or 1000 ms, or 5000 ms... there is no change in the way the module works.

Instead, the VIM module immediately sends the next communication request as soon as it receives a response from the ControlLogix. I have data captures of this delay being extremely short (around 10 ms) no matter what the setting of the poll delay for the VIM module.

The effect is that the ControlLogix communication resources are unneccessarily consumed by the VIM module, which frequently degrades the performance and reliability of the ControlLogix control system.

It is possible that this defect has been repaired since the last time I worked on a system like that in 2009.

If you choose to make this connection, I would be very interested to see if Mynah has addressed this behavior of the module.

Hello all,

We are sorry to hear about any negative issues experienced in the past with the DeltaV VIM IO Gateway.

Integration between two distinct control system can certainly be a sensitive task.

The VIM has been significantly optimized over the last 6 years. Many issues past customers have brought to our attention have been reliably addressed. The recent release of MYNAH's Ethernet/IP ODVA firmware has both expanded upon and encompassed features and functionality of previous Ethernet/IP drivers.

Over the past several years, MYNAH has refined it's Industrial Integration expertise through innovation and strong customer alliance.

We hope to provide you with a trust in MYNAH and our products when working with us in the future.

--

Jay Chard - MYNAH Technologies - Application Engineer

Problems with VIM Ethernet/IP

I have been Reading the thread and even though it started with a particular question i got interested for the problem described by Ken Roach. Actually I am working in a facility where we have the same problem in the communication of VIM card with 8 AB PLC.

Please if there is an specific thread where I can find more information with this particular issue please let me know, or if anybody can share some way to solve the problems with VIm Cards I will appreciate it very much.👨🏻‍🏫
Regards

Salim,

Could you please register for an account at MYNAH.com? Once registered, proceed to open a support ticket on your particular issue and the MYNAH team will be happy to assist you.

https://www.mynah.com/user

--

Jay Chard - MYNAH Technologies - Application Engineer