Upload from Devicenet Scanner (1747-SDN)

Good Evening All,

I have SLC 5/04 CPU and I have 1747-SDN (Device net)
I need to upload the RS Networx configuration, and need to add some more nodes and do the configuration.
I believe I can upload only from Device net scanner module (1747-SDN)
What cable should I use for that upload?
Can I download “RS Networx for Device net software” from Internet?
Please give me some sample program, how read from device net devices?

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,
Kumar

Good Evening All,

I have SLC 5/04 CPU and I have 1747-SDN (Device net)
I need to upload the RS Networx configuration, and need to add some more nodes and do the configuration.
I believe I can upload only from Device net scanner module (1747-SDN)
It is possible to use passthrough from the SLC to the devicenet network, depending on how the scanner is configured, but this is quite slow, and would be something I did not do regularly. If you need regular connection, then you need a device to put your PC right onto the devicenet network. There are a variety of adapters out there, some of them will bridge to ethernet making network access to a devicenet network possible as well as very fast.

What cable should I use for that upload?
This is going to depend on how you connect.

Can I download “RS Networx for Device net software” from Internet?
Please give me some sample program, how read from device net devices?

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,
Kumar
I do not believe there is a free version of it, but I had heard a while back there was talk of releasing it.

The most common interfaces to DeviceNet in systems that use SLC-500 or PLC-5 scanners are the 1770-KFD (Serial/DNet) and the 1784-U2DN (USB/DNet). These allow your computer to connect directly to the DeviceNet network so that RSLinx and RSNetworx software can upload, edit, and download the 1747-SDN Scanlist.

The 1747-SDNPT passthrough driver, as mentioned, is one alternative method but configuring it requires some expertise.

RSNetworx for DeviceNet software is required to edit DeviceNet scanner scanlists. The part number is 9357-DNETL3 and it is available from Rockwell Automation distributors.

It is not free software and cannot be downloaded for free.

RSNetworx for DeviceNet will run in "demo mode" without activation, in which it will only access nodes 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Tutorials on DeviceNet technology are available on the Internet, including from the ODVA, the industry association that maintains the DeviceNet specification.

A good place to start if you are unfamiliar with DeviceNet and RSNetworx software is the "Getting Results with RSNetworx for DeviceNet" user manual, available from the Rockwell Automation Literature Library:

Direct Link: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/gr/dnet-gr001_-en-e.pdf

Thank you all for your reply!

I have demo version of rs networks, but it not working in windows 7 -64 bit OS. Actually i need to connect only 4 devices.
can some one help me, how to do Pass through from SLC 5/04 processor?

Is there any special Communication Functional Block is required or Only Mapping in Scan List table from RS Networx software Enough?

Is there any chance to configure the Device net device without RS Networx software?

Thank you in Advance!
Regards - Kumar

You have unsupported non-purchased software, so you're really on your own making it work. If you received the software from a Rockwell Automation distributor, you should ask them for help.

Can you describe what exactly you mean by "it doesn't work" ? Do you get an error message during installation or during runtime ? What version of RSNetworx for DeviceNet are you attempting to install ?

Instructions for configuring the 1747-SDNPT Passthrough driver can be found in the RSLinx Classic Help file.

RSNetworx for DeviceNet is the only software capable of configuring the 1747-SDN scanner.

All I/O functions are configured using the Scanlist, but more advanced functions require the use of Explicit Messages, which are more complex to configure. I cannot guess if your particular application uses them.

sampathsietech said:
...Is there any chance to configure the Device net device without RS Networx software?...

Ken Roach said:
...RSNetworx for DeviceNet is the only software capable of configuring the 1747-SDN scanner...

There is one possible exception to that...

RSNetWorx for DeviceNet's predecessor, the 1787-MGR DeviceNetManager software. Older facilities, that used this software back in the day, may still be doing so today, or a mixture of both. I do. I have v3.004 installed on an old Win98 programming PC that we inherited from a redundant plant with some machinery. The main panel had an SLC5/04, but is now an SLC5/05. There are two 1747-SDN modules sitting in this chassis with a couple of 1747-SN modules and some discrete I/O. The PC is in a terminal station beside the PLC section. A 1770-KFD interfaces between the PC serial port and one of the 1747-SDN. I have a permanent flying lead connected from the double tap connector on the SDN with an EOL resistor to connect to the KFD when needed. DeviceNetManager happily browses onto the network and can access the 1747-SDN scanner and any of the 27 PowerFlex 40 drives on its network. You can easily configure devices or scanlists. Just last week a 0.75KW PF40 sat down and we only had a 2.2KW spare to replace it with. I was able to edit the scanlist for the mismatch error using DeviceNetManager and get the new drive going pretty quickly. It's a bit old and clumsy to use compared to RSNetWorx, but it does get the job done. I also have RSLinx v3.60 and RSNetWorx for DeviceNet v 21.01 in VMWare on our programming laptop. I can also access and edit this same network via the 1770-KFD no problem.

I'm not necessarily recommending users should go this way, but RA released a "serial-number-free" version of DeviceNetManager a few years ago, since RSNetWorx had been released as its successor. You can get it here...

33620 - Get 1787-MGR DeviceNet Manager software 3.005 here
Access Level: TechConnect

I have v3.004 running in Win98 Second Edition native. I don't know up to which OS it will continue to work correctly, but you could VMWare it.

sampathsietech said:
...I have demo version of rs networks, but it not working in windows 7 -64 bit OS...

Kumar,

Firstly - If you are using the 1770-KFD or 1747-SDNPT drivers in Win7 64-bit, you must use RSLinx v3.60 or higher. These drivers are not available in lesser versions of RSLinx installed under this OS. So, to attempt SLC DeviceNet pass-thru (SDNPT) or use a DeviceNet interface (KFD), in Win7 64-bit, you must use RSLinx v3.60 or higher to avail of these drivers.

Consequently - To carry out modifications on this network, you must be using RSNetWorx v21 for compatibility with the EDS SQL database system which RSLinx v3.60 also uses. Therefore, RSNetWorx v21 is the minimum version you should be trying to install under a Win7 64-bit OS.

452830 - 1770-KFD/1747-SDNPT/1784-PCD drivers missing from RSLinx Classic on Windows 7-64 bit
Access Level: Everyone

It sounds like you don't have a suitable interface, such as the 1770-KFD, but I would advise you to avoid pass-thru if at all possible. It can be a real headache to set up just to do a simple network mod. If you feel you have no other choice but to attempt it then here is some "helpful" info. The firmware differences for the M0/M1 file sizes alone are a right head spinner...

17425 - 1747-SDN/1771-SDN: Pass Through Setup Requirements

6944 - DeviceNet Passthru on SLC

Regards,
George

Ken,

My wife constantly uses absolutes with me when referring to things that I've supposedly said or done. "You're always this...", "You never that...". I always pull her up on it and usually have an example of an instance where I did or didn't do the opposite of whatever she is generalizing about. You can imagine how that all ends up!

Let's just say, she's not as gracious in receipt of correction as you are! :mad:

G. (y)

Thank you all for your support!

Now, i have got "RS Networx for Device net software" and 1784-U2DN converter cable.I Have SLC 5/04 PLC with 1747-SDN scanner.
Can you some one help me to upload Device net configuration from Scanner?
I have RS Linx Classic 2.57 installed in my PC, but i do not see device net driver to use 1748-U2DN cable?
How to configure in RS Linx for 1748-U2DN cable?

Thank you for your Support,

Regards,
Sampath

sampathsietech said:
...Now, i have got "RS Networx for Device net software"...

...I have RS Linx Classic 2.57 installed in my PC, but i do not see device net driver to use 1748-U2DN cable...

...How to configure in RS Linx for 1748-U2DN cable?

The Driver for the 1784-U2DN should appear in RSLinx under the "Configure Driver" window, then "Available Driver Types", then "Virtual Backplane (SoftLogix 58xx, USB)"

Are we still dealing with a Windows 7 64-bit OS here?

If so, then for Windows 7 64-bit, the minimum RSLinx Classic version you should be using with the 1784-U2DN is v2.58, you have v2.57. So you should have to update RSLinx Classic to a newer version, but you could "try" v2.57 first.

If you get RSLinx v2.58 installed in Windows 7 64-bit, or want to try with v2.57, and you still cannot see the driver listed above in RSLinx, then update the driver for the 1784-U2DN in Device Manager by manually pointing the driver update to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Automation\USBCIPDriver

This is an 64-bit OS related issue.

Which version of RSNetWorx for DeviceNet have you "got", and is it fully installed and licensed ok? i.e. not Demo Mode.

If it's v21, or above, then you will have to update to RSLinx v3.51 minimum, but preferably v3.60, or above. RSLinx v3.51 was the introduction point for the new EDS Subsystem.

Making the connection is an important step, and I'm sure you will get it working, but it's useless if your RSNetWorx software is not right. As Ken pointed out, if you need to add/access/modify any nodes above the first 6, then Demo Mode is no good to you.

Regards,
George