Micro820

HumbertoSnak

I am new at ab micro820. I want communicate with the plc but i can't. I'm using the Connected Components Workbench Standart Edition and the RSLinx Classic. I tried to configure the IP address in the menu "Internet Protocol(IP)Settings" in "Ethernet" menu of Concected Components and the RSLinx driver are the Ethernet divice, with the same adress that i put on the previous step. The last was because in the first time i tried to to communicate with the automatically option but i dont got answer. The wire are the RJ45 Ethernet.

I am new at ab micro820. I want communicate with the plc but i can't. I'm using the Connected Components Workbench Standart Edition and the RSLinx Classic. I tried to configure the IP address in the menu "Internet Protocol(IP)Settings" in "Ethernet" menu of Concected Components and the RSLinx driver are the Ethernet divice, with the same adress that i put on the previous step. The last was because in the first time i tried to to communicate with the automatically option but i dont got answer. The wire are the RJ45 Ethernet.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've just recently setup 4 x Micro820 controllers for a small application, so it is still fresh in my head...

Is this a new "out-of-the-box" controller, and you do not know the IP address?

Out-of-the-box, they are default set for DHCP to assign the IP address. When first powered up, if there is no DHCP server to assign an IP address, after 15 seconds a random auto-configuration IP address is assigned, similar to how a PC is assigned a random IP address when there is no DHCP server on the network. This address will be in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range with a Subnet of 255.255.0.0. You need to set your PC's IP address to within the same range as the Micro820 has been assigned, such as 169.254.100.200, and also the PC's Subnet to 255.255.0.0. This way your PC can see the controller through RSLinx.

Just remember, you do not yet know the last two octets of the random 169.254.xxx.xxx address assigned to the controller. The "169.254.100.200" example I have given for the PC could accidentally match the controllers IP address, resulting in a duplicate IP address, but it is highly unlikely you will be that unlucky.

In RSLinx, do not use the "Ethernet devices (AB_ETH-x)" driver. Set up an "Ethernet/IP Driver (AB_ETHIP)". Browse this driver in the RSWho window and the controller should show up.

Regards,
George

I've just recently setup 4 x Micro820 controllers for a small application, so it is still fresh in my head...

Is this a new "out-of-the-box" controller, and you do not know the IP address?

Out-of-the-box, they are default set for DHCP to assign the IP address. When first powered up, if there is no DHCP server to assign an IP address, after 15 seconds a random auto-configuration IP address is assigned, similar to how a PC is assigned a random IP address when there is no DHCP server on the network. This address will be in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range with a Subnet of 255.255.0.0. You need to set your PC's IP address to within the same range as the Micro820 has been assigned, such as 169.254.100.200, and also the PC's Subnet to 255.255.0.0. This way your PC can see the controller through RSLinx.

Just remember, you do not yet know the last two octets of the random 169.254.xxx.xxx address assigned to the controller. The "169.254.100.200" example I have given for the PC could accidentally match the controllers IP address, resulting in a duplicate IP address, but it is highly unlikely you will be that unlucky.

In RSLinx, do not use the "Ethernet devices (AB_ETH-x)" driver. Set up an "Ethernet/IP Driver (AB_ETHIP)". Browse this driver in the RSWho window and the controller should show up.

Regards,
George
Thank you very much, now all are working perfect. The communication usually cause me more troubles when i have to program a plc that had never programme before.

MICRO820 and OPC Rslinx 3.7

Hey, could someone please help me to create an OPC topic using RSLINX 3.7 to monitor data in a MICRO820 ??

davincimora said:
MICRO820 and OPC Rslinx 3.7

Hey, could someone please help me to create an OPC topic using RSLINX 3.7 to monitor data in a MICRO820 ??

Depending on the firmware revision that the Micro820 controller is currently using, OPC Data Access via RSLinx Classic may or may not be supported.

Micro800 controllers using firmware revision 4.xxx or older support OPC Data Access via RSLinx Classic. You cannot use the free RSLinx Classic Lite version. You must use either of the OPC enabled licensed versions of the software - RSLinx Classic Single Node or RSLinx Classic Gateway.

Micro800 controllers at or newer than firmware revision 6.011 no longer support OPC Data Access via RSLinx Classic. You now have to use a combination of RSLinx Enterprise v5.60 or newer and FactoryTalk Gateway v3.60 or newer. At firmware revision 7 support for using this method over Ethernet was introduced.

First you use RSLinx Enterprise to retrieve the data from the controller. This is now classed as FactoryTalk Live Data, which is a core component of RSLinx Enterprise. You then use FactoryTalk Gateway, which is an OPC Server, to transform the FactoryTalk Live Data into OPC Data.

Polling OPC Data from the Micro800 controllers is a little bit limited, and not as straight forward to setup with the newer method, so Archie's suggestion may be worth noting.

Regards,
George