RsLogix Upgrade?

Davek0974

Just about to start a new project and need to upgrade my laptop but the software I have - RsLogix500 will only install on pre XP systems and the new one is XP.

I have emailed Rockwell but in the meantime, is there an easy upgrade to get me running? Download?

Would it be a free upgrade?

Any tricks to get my software to install?

What version of RSLogix 500 is it? Do you have a tech connect contract? If you do you can get an upgrade. If you're not in-support, you can't get a free upgrade.

It must be a very old version to not run on XP (I have V18 running on XP fine). One "trick" is to use a virtual machine...

Even if you could get an extremely old version of RSLogix 500 installed, it is likely that your controller will have firmware that is not supported by the old software.

MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 controllers are supported by the free version of RSLogix 500. It's downloadable from the AB.com website (Link).

But the right thing to do for any other SLC or MicroLogix controller is to get a TechConnect contract so that you're eligible for a software upgrade. Your RA distributor can help you set that up.

Ok thanks, I will be in contact with Rockwell Monday. The software version is old but it was bought at the same time as the plc I am using so they match ok.

One of the main reasons to re-use this plc was because I had the software which seems to cost more than the device itself. I really don't want to have to buy new and if I did I would likely ditch the slc503 and go for something smaller.

if you have a valid license for your old copy - even if it's "out of support" - your distributor may be (should be) able to charge you just an "update" price rather than buying a brand new copy from scratch ...

The software version is old but it was bought at the same time as the plc I am using

At some point you have to consider fifteen years to be a ''long time".

It is not reasonable to expect a vendor to provide free support for longer than human generations.

Last edited:
At some point you have to consider fifteen years to be a ''long time".

Yes but the plc is still in production, it's just the software as usual. I haven't got £1300 in the budget for new software so not being able to upgrade (which is doubtful) will mean switching to a different brand of plc with cheaper software.

If you buy one controller ever fifteen gorram years, I'm very glad for you to be somebody else's customer.

If you buy one controller ever fifteen gorram years, I'm very glad for you to be somebody else's customer.

We had a time back then when I was building custom stuff for our business, then times changed and no new machines were needed, now we are on a tight budget and only repair or replace when needed. This is the first chance I have had to get near a project in ten years.

Needing to do a job does not make the funds available so I have to be very careful in my choices for spending, it's a pain but that's life.

We dont build for sale, just in-plant so if it's one in ten years then that's how it is.

Still doesn't solve my problems.

If you can find room in the budget to get the Starter version of RSLogix, and a Micrologix 1400, you will not regret it.
Online programming is pretty cool. (y)
If the budget doesn't support it, perhaps a Micrologix 1100 will do the job?
Like Ken says, the software for the 1100 is free.

The most cost effective solution without upgrading anything is to install the software on a virtual machine with Windows 98 on it or preferably Windows 2000 if it's supported by your version of Logix500.

Rockwell have sorted us out, needed a 1 year service contract, that gives us email support, knowledge base plus the serial key for any version of rslogix500 we want, £270, seemed reasonable.

I've programmed this plc before so know it fairly well.

I'm not 100% convinced that an 1100 would do the job, but I dod only have a quick look. We have two more machines to do possibly so mk2 version maybe ;)