Communicating with Component Class HMI via CCW

Dpuck

I posted here previously asking for help with acquiring the software needed to work with AB Micrologix processors. Forgive me, I'm VERY new to this...

That thread can be found here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=95056&goto=newpost

Now that I have that taken care of and what I believe is a functional ladder built I'm working toward learning the HMI portion of this project (stamping press controls).

I am lucky enough to have a similar press that I was involved in building, with code written by an integrator we occasionally use when his workload allows. So I have a skeleton to work with on both the ladder logic as well as the panelview screen.

The problem I'm having now, is in my attempts to communicate with the HMI.

I have downloaded the most recent version of CCW and the BootP server and was able to assign an IP address to the processor (1400) via BootP and had no issue communication with it via ethernet. I have no idea, however, what I am doing in regards to communicating with the HMI.

I was able to assign the HMI an IP address manually on the screen of the HMI itself, but the BootP server will not "see" it, nor will it show up in RSlinx.

I'm about six hours deep into it with no results and would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

I have the processor and the HMI connected to one another via an N-Tron 304TX switch which is where I am attempting to connect to the HMI.

Thanks in advance,

I haven't tangled with PVCs too often, however, the BOOTP utility is to be deployed only for "shelf" state devices (e.g. DHCP Enabled, No Assigned IP Address).
If you have manually set a static IP Address for a device (and hopefully disabled DHCP) the BOOTP utility is useless.
One more thing: BOOTP is using RSLinx which does not play at all with PVCs.
Verify that the HMI terminal IP Address is on the same subnet as the ML1400 Ethernet port (identical first three octals: xxx.yyy.zzz....), disable DHCP (if still enabled) and then cycle power to the terminal.
Back to the RSLinx issue: PVCs are not your typical HMI devices; they will not show up within the RSLinx RSWho interface.
Try pinging it from the command prompt of your PC; if it answers then it is connected.

I haven't tangled with PVCs too often, however, the BOOTP utility is to be deployed only for "shelf" state devices (e.g. DHCP Enabled, No Assigned IP Address).
If you have manually set a static IP Address for a device (and hopefully disabled DHCP) the BOOTP utility is useless.
One more thing: BOOTP is using RSLinx which does not play at all with PVCs.
Verify that the HMI terminal IP Address is on the same subnet as the ML1400 Ethernet port (identical first three octals: xxx.yyy.zzz....), disable DHCP (if still enabled) and then cycle power to the terminal.
Back to the RSLinx issue: PVCs are not your typical HMI devices; they will not show up within the RSLinx RSWho interface.
Try pinging it from the command prompt of your PC; if it answers then it is connected.

Ok, I had thought that since the Component controllers still used RSlinx, that the HMI's would as well.

It's on the same subnet, and if I CMD Ping it, it returns as connected, but I don't know how to approach putting the information in the unit.

According to the manual you can use PanelView Component DesignStation 2.0 or 3.0 (I have never used either of those).
I think you open Internet Explorer and enter the IP address into IE address bar then you're using a web page driven out of the HMI.

On the Panelview Component one you have set the IP via the configuration screen you will also need to disable DHCP.

Once you have done this you should be able to ping the terminal, and contrary to what other posters have said I believe it will show up in RSLinx.

Also, you should be using CCW (Connected Components Workbench). The DesignStation software was the original software used back in the early days of the Component level screens and has been superseded by CCW for a long time.

BOOTP is a simple BOOTP/DHCP server and has nothing to do with RSLinx. If you have set the IP to static and disabled DHCP (this is an important step) then you should not need to use the BOOTP utility at all.

What firmware version is the Panelview Component HMI and what version of RSLinx and CCW are you running?

Last edited:
"...Once you have done this you should be able to ping the terminal, and contrary to what other posters have said I believe it will show up in RSLinx..."

494389 - RSLinx cannot see PanelView Component
Access Level: Everyone
Date Created: 07/02/2012 09:20 AM
Last Updated: 01/14/2015 03:17 PM

Question
Why is RSLinx not able to see PanelView Component?

Answer
PanelView Component uses an online browser/software to be programmed online or transfer by memory.It does not use RSLinx for comms. So even though you can ping a PanelView Component Ethernet port or USB you might not be able to see it in RSLinx.

Ahh yes you are correct, my mistake.

I've been using the new Panelview 800 series quite a bit lately (the new replacement for the Component series) which is also programmed using CCW however these 800 series do indeed use RSLinx. Since the hardware/programming software is so similar I thought the PVC were the same.

I've attached a screenshot showing the download process to the PVC's using the CCW software.

Basically you just right click the device in CCW and select download, and a dialog box prompting for an IP pops up.

PVC_Download.jpg

PV800 terminals are indeed a major improvement over the Component series which should've never been branded PanelView in the first place; I guess their marketing team scored just as big as with the MicroLogix branding.

...I've attached a screenshot showing the download process to the PVC's using the CCW software.

Basically you just right click the device in CCW and select download, and a dialog box prompting for an IP pops up.

That's what I was looking for.

That got the information into the PV.

Thank you,