iFix 2.5 Legacy

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an old iFix legacy application I'm attempting to work with. The problem is that I cannot seem to find any kind of development software. What am I missing here? I've been reading on this for hours and I'm not getting anywhere.

What/how/where is the development mode or software to make changes to this SCADA?

If you don't have a development key to allow you to go into configure mode then you can get around it by stopping Fix and then then restarting in demo mode. You won't have network capability in demo mode but you will be able to make changes to the pictures.
fix.exe /t

Thanks. I found a box that had a serial number for "developer" software, but I could not find a hardware key for it. I have about 10 of them all for the same version, but they are all for client runtime.

Now I see the configuration screen, however the "workspace" or whatever it is called (the operator interface) pops up and I can't do anything on the workspace. I set WorkSpaceStartMode=0 so that it shouldn't do that.

Use CTRL+W to go to configure mode in Workspace.
On the menu bar go to Workspace > User perferences...
In User Perferences uncheck "Start Workspace is Run mode"
That will keep you out of run mode when Workspace opens.

For not being able to find your development key if you've already checked the 10 keys that you have then you might give GE a call and tell them that you've lost the developer key. They might be able to help you out whether or not you're under a GlobalCare support agreement.
I've lost a key before and they have replaced it.

Thanks a bunch. Perhaps I can get a manual or something from them too. We have this 15 year old computer running the scada and it is making us all very nervous, so I'm attempting to make sense of it all.

Might be able to help...

sparkie: If GE-IP can't help or if you don't want to pour lots of cash into them to get a GlobalCare contract,, I have an old (factory sealed in plastic wrap) iFIX 2.5 disc with manual that we can work something out to send. I may also even have the dev key somewhere.
Allen

I will keep this in mind. Apparently we don't have a dev key, and I can't enter configuration mode, so I'm not sure how they accessed the scripts. I'm really trying to dissect this for two reasons. We have a marquee system on the plant floor I'm figuring out so that I can move us over to a more modern system and I'm trying to figure out what talks to what. No one in the plant really knows, it just works. This is a really scary scenario for the people responsible for maintaining those systems (aka me).

You can enter in demo mode to iFIX without removing the hardware key, just press "Windows key + R " Then execute: launch /t
then press Enter. It will start iFIX in demo mode, now you can edit/develop for 2 hours the project without restrictions and without having a developer hardware key ;) in Workspace using CTRL+W .

If you want to backup your iFIX project , just copy the folders "PIC, PDB and LOCAL".

Last edited: