1783-NATR or Vlan?

scalelar

Guys
I need to hang two OEM systems off the plant controls network. It looks to me like the 1783-NATR or a managed switch setup with Vlans would do the trick. I've never implemented either and would appreciate thoughts on ease of configuration, reliability and maintainability. Any other general comments are welcomed too. Oh and both the OEM systems have 1769-L18ER processors.

I'm assuming that you need to get them on your network which is on a different network?

Your network is something like 172.25.10.x

Vendor 1 network is something like 192.168.1.x

Vendor 2 network is something like 192.168.1.x

If this is the case, you really only need something like 9300-ENA, which is an NAT device allowing it to translate an IP address from one network to another. Some of the Startix switches have this built-in as well, so pick your poison.

The 1783-NATR would be used if the vendor's systems are using DLR and you need to break out the DLR network to connect to your plant network. This is also an NAT device so you can map the IP address of the vendor to an IP address of your network.

Thanks Paully
That is what I want to do. I guess if I wanted to use a switch and Vlan I would have to change the OEM equipment's Ip addresses to the same as the plant network.

If this is the case, you really only need something like 9300-ENA, which is an NAT device allowing it to translate an IP address from one network to another. Some of the Startix switches have this built-in as well, so pick your poison.

The 1783-NATR would be used if the vendor's systems are using DLR and you need to break out the DLR network to connect to your plant network. This is also an NAT device so you can map the IP address of the vendor to an IP address of your network.

Paully your are correct in saying that you can use a 9300-ENA, but last time I checked they are more expensive than a 1783-NATR. The NATR can be used in a DLR or linear set up but it can also be used in a Star set up. We have a number of machines set up like that. The PLC is connected to a Stratix 2000 or other unmanaged switch and then one of the ports of the switch goes to one of the ports of the NATR.

I can't ping my PC to PLC...

PLC: 192.168.1.200
PC: 10.63.3.5

NATR-PUBLIC: 10.63.3.1
NATR-PRIVATE: 192.168.1.1
NAT-RULE: 10.63.3.2 -> 192.168.1.200

1783-NATR Revision 1.001

Any ideas?

7.jpg

I can't ping my PC to PLC...

PLC: 192.168.1.200
PC: 10.63.3.5

NATR-PUBLIC: 10.63.3.1
NATR-PRIVATE: 192.168.1.1
NAT-RULE: 10.63.3.2 -> 192.168.1.200

1783-NATR Revision 1.001

Any ideas?

Did you make a NAT rule for your PC´s ip Address? You need to create it as well or it cannot communicate.

Also, I don't have a 1783-NATR in front of me so I cant remember if you need to do this on it or just in the Stratix 5700 with NAT, make sure that you have declared both a public to private and a private to public translation, if applicable.

Did you make a NAT rule for your PC´s ip Address? You need to create it as well or it cannot communicate.

Also, I don't have a 1783-NATR in front of me so I cant remember if you need to do this on it or just in the Stratix 5700 with NAT, make sure that you have declared both a public to private and a private to public translation, if applicable.

Thanks! It works, I didn't set the Gateway Address in PLC.

I'm assuming that you need to get them on your network which is on a different network?

Your network is something like 172.25.10.x

Vendor 1 network is something like 192.168.1.x

Vendor 2 network is something like 192.168.1.x

Hi Paully, I have a case that translate the PLC private IP to public office IP to make sure I can access to PLC in my office seat PC, and our IT require me supply the fixed IP address+MAC address. So which IP/MAC address I should supply? PLC’s Ethernet card or 1783-NATR public port’s? Thank you.