1761-NET-ENI Explosion Hazard

alive15

Good afternoon,

I noticed on my 1761-NET ENI a label that says not to disconnect or flip the switches in a hazardous area due to an explosion hazard. Currently the net eni is connected to a PLC and a Cmore HMI. How does flipping the switch or unplugging the cable b/w the net eni and the PLC cause an explosion hazard? Just being curious. Thanks.

I imagine it would have to do with potential arcing/sparking... probably a very very low possibility of anything happening but they are covering their bases. Sort of like when bakeries add a small amount of an allergen just so they can label the product as containing the allergen to avoid contaminated batches causing liability issues.

Just a guess though. Others may know more

It's a warning if the product were to be used in a potentially explosive atmosphere. The potential sparks from those actions are less than the static spark after walking across a carpet. In a normal atmosphere there is virtually no chance of the spark causing anything hazardous.

Look at things this way.

you go into your house and smell a gas leak. at that point you should leave your house immediately with the door open and call the gas company. No problem.

what you do not need to do is create a spark which can ignite the gas vapors in the room, and cause an explosion.
you can obviously create a spark by striking a match, using a lighter.
you can also create a spark by unplugging / plugging in an electrical device, turning on a light switch, or other similar things. the manufacture of devices like that ASSUME that there is nothing in the area that will explode or catch fire. they are not made to keep out dangerous gases and the things I discuss below. That's why they place the warning. you need to know the area where the device is to be used.

the manufacturer is stating that there might be enough potential energy when you flip the switch or unplug / plug in the device to create a spark. that spark may have energy in it to cause gas vapors, dusts, of fibers to ignite and create a fire or explosion.

Hazardous locations are defined by a class and division.
Class 1 - flammable gas, vapors, or liquids.
Class 2 - combustible dust.
Class 3 - ignitable fibers or flyings

Classes are also defined into divisions.
Division 1 - The area has material in the environment at all times during the manufacturing process and for a period after manufacturing has stopped. some areas never stop having the materials present.

Division 2 - the area has the potential for an explosion during an abnormal situation or in an emergency.

I have worked in class 1, div 1 and 2, Class 2, div 1 and 2 for 12 years.
creating a spark in these areas is very serious.

We had devices that would detect a spark 1/4 mile away. NO JOKE. our deluge system would flood the area within 23ms when a spark was detected with 110 gallons per minute per nozzle.
in these areas, you would need intrinsically safe barriers to prevent such a spark.

I hope this explaination helps,
james

Last edited:
The warning is on many devices that can cause a spark when connected or disconnected to a power source.

It's particularly prominent on these network interface modules because of the +24V power supply option via the Channel 0 connector and the internal/external power supply selector switch. Both of those have the potential to create a small spark when they are connected or disconnected, and they aren't the usual permanent power connection devices.

The device probably has Class 1, or 2, Div 2 approval and that is why the warning is on there. Nothing to worry about unless you're using it in a potentially hazardous area.