2198-H040ERS2 Kintetix CIP

KrabbyPatty

Hello, Happy new year, I have posted here before because of a plc problem so I figured while I look through Google and different manuals, that I could ask here too for maybe a more direct answer.

I am working with a 2198-H040ERS2 Kinetix Servo. My company has not used a safety one before besides the Safety PLC. Now I realize that I need to use a Safety PLC to make the Servo work correctly, which we are, but there is certain things that I am not sure of. With the standard Servo we have the raC block in the PLC and after not finding a safety version in the catalog, I am wondering if I would still need it or if it would be substituted with something else. This is a Safety over Ethernet. I am not quite sure what all would need to still be in the PLC to make it work correctly, we are already using the DCS functions for estop and doors, and I was told that STO wires would not really be in the question anymore since we are doing this.

My main goal is just to figure out what all I still need in the PLC side to make it work properly, what its function is as in how it works with safety and what it does, what the CIP function is and how it work. And more along those line. As in how to use safety over ethernet. I am sure I know but I might not be connecting dots together. This would be for motion and safety.

Thank you,
Krabby

Hi there. I am not an expert in safety, but I believe if you add to your post some additional information such as the PLC model you are using, the firmware version and the version of the engineering tool you are using (in case of Rockwell it would be the Logix Studio), by the time the safety experts come back to the forum they may be able to give better advice to you. Good luck.

Thank you for that information, that went completely over my head to add that.

We are using AB 5069-L330ERMS2 V34, so Logix Studio. As I have mentioned the Kinetix Servo is a 2198-H040ERS2.

I am just needing some help understanding some of its functions a little more. As in I am not quite sure what blocks should still be used in the PLC as the standard Servo used the raC function block.

Thank you,
Krabby

The safety program will control the safety signal to the servo and the normal logic will control the servo motion.

I have no idea what your raC block is, so cannot comment on that.

The only raC references I can find are Add-On Instructions for Kinetix 5100 servo drives. Your part number is a Kinetix 5500 servo drive, which is quite different. Is this an upgrade or a new system that is based on an old/existing one? Have I got the raC reference completely wrong? Can we get more information about the original program you have there? Which raC instructions are you using and what is the existing drive?