Best 24VDC Power Supply

I have used PULS, Sola, Omron, Rhino, Automation Direct etc Never really seen much difference in any of them. The Sola is my main go to because my main supplier carries them..
But really nowadays for a SMPS there all about the same specs. Go for price and Get one that is adjustable..

The only power supply brand I'd advise you to avoid is Carlo Gavazzi. We've experienced a lot of failures with these.

I have used PULS, Sola, Omron, Rhino, Automation Direct etc Never really seen much difference in any of them. The Sola is my main go to because my main supplier carries them..
But really nowadays for a SMPS there all about the same specs. Go for price and Get one that is adjustable..

A big option to a 24VDC PS is how it handles temporary overload (like when a device or instrument powers up).
The reason I like Phoenix Contact "Quint" is because of its "Power Boost" capability. "Power Boost" allows temporary high current surges without dropping voltage, which is nice for handling instrumentation that has a start-up surge.

Rhino (AD brand) for example will drop voltage during temporary overload condition...

We are using the Weidmuller PROeco series as our standard power supply now.

They are solidly built and feel very robust. And the price is very competitive from our local distributor at the moment.

http://catalog.weidmueller.com/catalog/Start.do?localeId=en&ObjectID=group2800480233502

I have used Phoenix power supplies before and can rate these highly also, although for their 'entry-level' model the pricing does not compare to Weidmuller.

We use IFM as our main choice because we get great pricing on them, but we also use AB and Siemens depending on the job.

When using DC power supplies that "fold back" on an overload, it is important to select the protective device(s) (circuit breakers or fuses) on the downstream side of the power supply properly.

Under short circuit conditions, a fold back supply will limit the current and could prevent tripping your protective device for a length or time or, if you selected poorly, ever.

Here is an article from Phoenix Contact that discusses this:
https://www.phoenixcontact.com/onli...b#sectiondf77c289-79c2-4ed8-a447-72a2ea708d03

<disclaimer - I work for a Phoenix Contact distributor>

Thank you everyone for the feedback and information on Power Supplies. Puls was the brand that I had been leaning towards when writing this post, but its great to get some feedback from the group echoing they are a good choice. I have heard of the Quint from P.C. as well, I just don't have a very good relationship with a vendor in the area. I think at this point I'll steer to Puls for all of my high profile applications, and maybe price shop on the small stuff that's not as trivial. Thanks again!

I have used MANY different vendors for Power Supplies in my 12 years.
Sola, Allen-Bradley, Phoenix Contact, Siemens, Weidmuller, Rhino, Turk, Murr, Meanwell, Lamda and probably more.

It really depends for me what I'm building. The majority of the time I stick with Allen-Bradley 1606 series. They are all metal Faraday casing with large sturdy screw terminals for power leads. I like that their AC is on the bottom because for wiring purposes we can go right from a fuse or Circuit Breakers bottom side up into the bottom of the Power Supply. That plus their Three Phase stuff is very slim profile and from our local supplier their always readily available in nearly every configuration and have good competitive pricing for a decent controls system.

However for our own in house stuff or very cheap manual stations we'll use the Rhino from AutomationDirect.com We haven't had any failures with the Rhinos as to date but sometimes they can be a little noisy and their plastic enclosures (some lines) are pretty pliable, the casing tweaks when you screw down the wires.

Good Question though.

FYI, I'm pretty sure these are rebranded Puls supplies.

They do have a history of private labeling other brands to try things out. Sometimes they then will manufacture their own if the line is successful. Their first line of miniature circuit breakers was re-branded Moeller. We still had people want us to put the $48 breakers marked AB in their panels vs. the $24 Moeller one even though they knew they were made on the same line with the same parts by the same people.

Same with some of the self protected manual motor controllers and Smart relays.

But eventually they began making these items themselves (or maybe branding them from someone else).

I don't know about their power supplies though.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

The power supply's we like the most are from Delta Elektronika.
I work in a big steel factory with a very harsh environment, and the only brand of power supply's that almost never fails are from this brand.
Also the one's from Power-one don't give us much trouble. (and we have 100+ units in our plant)

Greetings, John