BootP DHCP NOT SHOWING DEVICE MAC OR IP

nmk34

I am not sure what i am doing wrong

laptop ip 192.168.1.233 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0
micro820 ip unknown

1) i connected a micro820 and my laptop ethernet port to an ethernet hub.
2) run BOOTP DHCP UTILITY
3) Selected my laptop ethernet card from the popup network interface list.
4) waited 15 min and nothing populate in BOOTP?.
5) Changed the laptop Ethernet setting to DHCP and nothing populated in BOOTP?

The most likely reason is that the Micro 820 is configured for a fixed IP address and BOOTP/DCHP is disabled.

Can you try with a device that you know for sure you can configure for DHCP via a factory default or hardware switch setting ?

It's also possible that the Windows firewall is blocking the BOOTP/DHCP packets. I think that networks that are designated as "Public" block those incoming packets, while ones designated as "Home/Work" do not. Other 3rd party firewalls could do that too.

The fact that you changed your own laptop's setting to DHCP and didn't see your own request getting mirrored back to you suggests a firewall issue too.

I went back and confirmed that my laptop is on DHCP and this time i can see my laptop mac address.
is the procedures i listed above of connecting to micro820 via BootP correct?
without resetting the micro820 to factory settings, what do I need to do to see it reflect in BOOTP ?

I recommend you setup your PC's IP address temporarily to DHCP, start the DHCP/BooTP utility and see if the utility gets IP address requests from the micro820. If possible, I would recommend you try connecting the PC to the micro820 directly for this test.
If nothing happens, I recommend you install Wireshark, start Wireshark and connect and reconnect the the micro820 LAN's cable. If the micro820 is configured with fixed IP address it will send ARP announcing the IP address it is intending to use when the cable is plugged to the switch. If there is already another device using this same IP address such device will send an ARP indicating the IP address is in use. You may get a lot of hints with Wireshark. At least the ARP, DHCP and BootP requests are broadcast messages that you will be able to see no matter where the PC is connected. To see the replies you would need an Ethernet tap or managed switch with mirror port function mirroring the port to which the micro820 is connected, because the replies (from DHCP server, BootP server or conflicted IP address) are unicast, that is sent only to the port that caused the communication.

prior me reading the recommendations, i tried BootP on my home pc with win xp and it worked just fine. I went to my laptop at work and enabled Bootp in firewall and run the BootP as administrator. it came back with the following error: "BootP/DHCP is unable to function because port 67 is being used by another process: -EIPComissionWinSer.exe, PID;6776;PLEASE CLOSE THIS PROCESS and restart the proccess"
I looked in the TaskManager, and not shown this process.
meanwhile i am just going to use my win xp laptop to use BootP/DHCP perform this task till i sort the problem with win 10 laptop.

EIPComissionWinSer.exe belongs to EtherNet/IP address commissioning tool that is modern version of the old BOOTP server.
Most likely installed with recent version of Logix. Try to lunch it and use instead of BOOTP server.