Compactlogix to NET-ENI configuration

SysIntegrator

Here's the scenario:

I have an L32E controller that I want to add to our plant network for the purposes of going online with it and trending data (RSLinx OPC server). Because it talks to some drive and IO units over ethernet and is our most critical system, I want to keep the network physically isolated (Vlans aren't an option). My solution is to use a NET-ENI and the serial port.

My question is what is the proper configuration on both the NET-ENI and the controller? I have not been able to see the controller succesfuly through the NET-ENI. I have the latest EDS files for RSLINX (already did this for a SLC). I have tried with and without compactlogix routing checked, I have changed the error correction to CRC, and I've tried manually and automatically setting baud rates on both.

I'm wondering if I should have Protocol DF1 Point to Point, and if my station address should be 1 or 0.

I'm not using this to communicate to any other controllers.

Thanks!

B2NsiqtZrerNAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

ENI configuration

Your Net-ENI configuration screenshot didn't appear to make it as an attachment.

Let's first make sure that we understand the physical connection. The Net-ENI has a Mini-DIN8 serial port that should be connected to the CompactLogix RS-232 port with a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable.

Your computer connects to the Net-ENI over Ethernet. Can you PING the device, open its diagnostic Web page, and browse it in RSLinx Classic ?

Yeah screenshot did not make it through.

Yes to all the above, that is my exact configuration, and I can ping and browse to the NET-ENI in RSLinx, but there is no node shown when I drill down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NET-ENI's node # is 0 for the DF1 configuration, so the controller should be set as 1? That's how I set up my SLC 500 setup.

The CompactLogix default error checking mode is BCC, but you've changed it to CRC. Make sure the Net-ENI matches.

I always use 8 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit. I noticed you set the link for 2 stop bits, which is unusual.

In general, with a DF1 point-to-point connection, the initiating device is Node 0 and the responding device is Node 1. So that looks correct.

CRC is the only option for error checking on the ENI

There's no option for selecting stop bits on the ENI, but that's what I used on the SLC 500 setup with success. I will try modifying that. You can change the serial parameters on a compactlogix while its running, right?

Good point about the ENI's error checking; it was built for the MicroLogix 1000/1200/1500 controllers and those default to 19200-8/N/1 and CRC.

Yes, you can change the serial port parameters on a CompactLogix during runtime. The last step is "Apply Pending Settings", which will apply all the changes you've made at once.

The cable from the 1761-NET-ENI to the CompactLogix should be the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable, without any adapters or changers in between.

This same cable could connect the Net-ENI to a PC serial port, an SLC-5/0x Channel 0 port, or the 9-pin port on a MicroLogix 1500/1400 controller.

The "CompactLogix Routing" feature was never really clear to me... you needed it at one point way back in the v12/v13 days. I'd have to read up on it.

I'm very surprised by that Kepware document; I would challenge them to explain why they think that 1761-NET-ENI Series C and D won't work with a Logix-family controller.

I'm pretty sure that you need Series-specific firmware for the Net-ENI's... the functionality and reliability got better, not worse, with the newer units.

Yeah, I've got a Series D w/ Firmware 3.22.

I guess I"ll call tech-connect tomorrow and ask them what the deal is. This shouldn't be this difficult, I've set up NET-ENI's before w/o this much difficulty. Thanks for the help though.

Solution

I have been working on this for 4 hours already and finaly find the right settings

attaches is the pictures of all my configurations ,hope this help

CompactLogixCH0-1.png CompactLogixCH0-2.png ENIUtility-1.png RSLogix1.jpg