Emerson FX 455 Software PCXWin - Alternative or Shell Method

DNR_Star

Hi there, new to the forum, I'm excited to have found this as a place where I can learn and help when I can. Not a great number of forums like this. Thanks for having me. Anyways..

I have a pair of Emerson FX 455 servo amplifiers paired with DXE 455W ac motors, slated for a Shizouka bed mill CNC (re-)conversion in-house project. If this were a customer project, I would just buy new integrated servos with modern support, but since this machine is going to be put to work in-house, we decided to make an effort to use these (brand new never used) drives and motors.

The question is, the version of the serial config software (Emerson PCX) obviously does not run as a simple executable on modern Windows machines.

1) Supposedly there is a standalone Windows executable version called PCXWin. Does any one have a source for this? The motors and drives fit the bill nicely,
2) Is there an alternative option for software that could be recommended other than using a ladder logic package to recreate the wheel in RSLogix etc?
Maybe one of Emerson's newer software configurators works with these unbeknownst. The serial syntax is simple as can be, just writing registers, so I could do it manually... the info is there... but there are money making projects to dump hours into..
3) Do i need to suck it up and find a DOS shell of appropriate antiquity to boot this in and then play the guessing game with serial interfaces that show up? I'm just young enough (33) that I never got exposed to true-to-form IBM DOS systems, so it would have a learning curve, but not too bad i'm sure.

Basically just looking for a how-to-move advice that would yield the most time-efficient one-time/hopefully-not-again setup experience for these drives.

4) Should I ditch the amplifiers and use the motors with a more modern servo amplifier package?

Thanks for any info y'all can provide here. Looking forward to the community.
~IR

The serial syntax is simple as can be, just writing registers, so I could do it manually... the info is there... but there are money making projects to dump hours into..

Do you mean a serial port(RS-232/422/485)? And you are currently using PuTTY or HyperTerminal or similar to manually type commands by hand, and you want a GUI or simple UI to do this instead?

If yes, what system would be sending the commands down the serial cable?