explosion proof cabinet

lean123456

Hi, I have a lot of doubts about this topic. Im used to perform typical automation systems using schneiders plc, altivar drives, and regular motors. Now I have to build an automation system for a paint filler, so the atmosphere is kind of explosive. The cabinets Ive seen in this industry are totally seal (they dont have automation equipments just a relay or contactor), so if I put inside a drive or plc it will fail because overheating. So whats the solution for venting a drive or plc inside a cabinet with an explosion atmosphere?
thank you very much

So whats the solution for venting a drive or plc inside a cabinet with an explosion atmosphere?
thank you very much
The recommended solution is always to move all possible electrical equipment to a non-explosive area. Put your drives and PLCs inside a nice clean ventilated electrical room.

For the electrical controls that have to remain in the hazardous area, put them in a positive-pressure filtered cabinet with a supply of fresh air from a duct and fan.

Another tip:
Do as much as you can with pneumatic devices and mount the solenoid valves outside the hazardous area.
Yes.... I hate them too and they are slow, but you can put the pneumatic stuff anywhere.

I have also seen PLC cabinets at gasoline loading racks that had a nitrogen purge on them. Of course this was in California where the temperature extremes are not too bad. Wouldn't be the best solution for places that get very cold or very hot.

Putting the PLC in a climate controlled area is the best. If that is not possible, What is the area classification? Class 1 Div. 1 or is it Div.2? I am pretty sure that the Micrologix line is rated for Class 1 Div.2 areas. Might be a way to go.

Hi, I have a lot of doubts about this topic. Im used to perform typical automation systems using schneiders plc, altivar drives, and regular motors. Now I have to build an automation system for a paint filler, so the atmosphere is kind of explosive.

I worked for a number of years designing, building and servicing equipment for the OEM automotive painting indutry. Most if not all of the equipment locations for this type of installation are Class I Div 1, and at least Class I Div 2. We made almost exclusive use of pneumatic control valves and actuators in the hazardous area, and the PLC, drives and electronics were mounted in an unclassified area. Made use of a lot of intrinsically safe equipment, too.

It is work laying it all out, but it can be done.

Last edited: