Factorytalk ME beginner problem

LowRange

I'm trying to teach myself how to use factorytalk so I can add buttons, screens and other cool junk and am having trouble testing my application. I'm getting a error "Timed out writing N7:0 from SLC at station 1 on driver DH485" I don't have an HMI to play around with and am only using the laptop to run the application virtually.

I'm trying to teach myself how to use factorytalk by writing a simple program where one HMI input N7:0/0 will turn on and latch on output O:2/0 until N7:0/0 is pressed again. My application is a single screen with a single multistate push button. Paths to both design and runtime devices are assigned. My multistae pushbutton is tagged as SLCTags\N7_0_0. I've got an 1747 L511 5/01 controller. Rslinx is configured to use AB_UIC-1 DH485 Sta:0 COM3 and my cable is a DH485 to USB. I can download to the controller, put it into run and toggle bits and all the good stuff but I cannot get the application to run properly when tested.

I have a DH485 driver to both Design and Runtime as well as 1747 L511 SLC-500 rack based processors under Communications Setup. What I don't understand is what Address do I choose (0-10)? The default of 0 wouldn't assign paths to the devices but when I select an Address of 1 and hit verify it does assign paths.

Note: Path to Design device is assigned [SLC Device]
Note: Path to Runtime device is assigned [SLC Device]

Do I need to run the rslogix 500 project on the laptop or is it enough to have it downloaded and in run mode on the controller for the application to find it? Are factorytalk addresses and rslinx com paths the same thing? Do I need to create a runtime application just to test an application? Is there an rsWho or something similar in factorytalk so I can really know if the application is seeing the controller or not? Under networks and devices I see AB_UIC-1, DH-485 1,SLC 5/01,UNTITLED.

What am I doing wrong?

Still getting my butt kicked. Factorytalk sees the controller under Networks and Devices but I still get timeout errors when I test the application.

Update: I can get Factorytalk to talk to the controller. I had to set up my communications driver as serial DF1 instead of DH485 even though I'm connecting to the processor through DH485. I also had to stop my rslinx driver on my com port because both linx and factorytalk can't be trying to go through it at the same time. For some reason I was under the impression that factorytalk needed linx in order to communicate with the controller but I am a noob.

When I test the application there are no longer timeout errors however when I toggle by button I get "problem writing 0/1..."

My tag appears to be correct. I have made a tags folder, have the correct shortcut spelled correctly and the address of N7:0/0 is also correct.