Ge Versapro, direct logic programing question

spotter

Hello,
I have a GE Versamax plc and am using versapro software.
I was wondering if there is a way to have a selector switch control 2 seperate programs on the same machine?
I have a machine that we use for pulling and pushing. I have a seperate program for each operation, either pushing or pulling. Instead of loading a differnt program each time i change operation I want to have a selector switch call for pushing or pulling. I am a novice at programing and would be very grateful for any help you could offer.

I would also like to know how this could be done in directsoft program for our automation direct plcs also.

thanks

The easiest way i can think of, and I dont know if all your products you use support this but here is how I would handle it using the product we have.

in the begining of the program write a routine that during the first scan it basically bypasses all your code and does whatever initializing is required for both program.

Have a single pole/double throw switch going to two inputs.

Merge both programs together and make sure there are no conflicts with the two segments. Put a jump over each section of each segment based on selection of switch.

Add in at the end an end of program option so you have somewhere to jump to at the end of each section.

This should do the trick based on your description. Hope I have made it clear. And hope it helps

Hello,
I have a GE Versamax plc and am using versapro software.
I was wondering if there is a way to have a selector switch control 2 seperate programs on the same machine?
I have a machine that we use for pulling and pushing. I have a seperate program for each operation, either pushing or pulling. Instead of loading a differnt program each time i change operation I want to have a selector switch call for pushing or pulling. I am a novice at programing and would be very grateful for any help you could offer.

I would also like to know how this could be done in directsoft program for our automation direct plcs also.

thanks

In the Directsoft software there are two instructions called MLS and MLR which might be used for what you need. I dont know exactly how to code it but you would need both programs combined into one file and use those instructions to switch on or off the section you want to use. You will need to add an input for the switch to control which section you are using. If you want to zip up the two programs and attach it to a post someone will jump in and help show you how to do this. I am not familiar with Versapro, maybe someone else will help you for that.

Last edited:
spotter,

Welcome to the forum!

I am a novice at programing and would be very grateful for any help you could offer.

OK!

I have a seperate program for each operation, either pushing or pulling. Instead of loading a differnt program each time i change operation I want to have a selector switch call for pushing or pulling.

Because you are a newbie, I want to offer a couple of words of warning.

I'm going out on a limb here. It may seem easy to just copy and paste each program into their own subroutines. There are probably some of the same coils in use by each program. Most programmers consider multiple coil use a bad practice. A good way to not use the same coil in each subroutine is to substitute an internal bit, then use these bits to turn on your outputs in the main routine.

Also while we are talking about subroutines. Any coil that is turned on in a subroutine and not turned off before exiting will remain on. For instance if you were pulling and someone flipped the selector switch to push you would exit the subroutine but any outputs that were on would stay on until you entered the pull subroutine again and turned them off. Unless the push subroutine had the same addresses and turned them off.

thanks

This statement hints that you have the same situation with Automation Direct PLC's. jrwb4gbm gave you one way to do it, another way would be to use stage programming.

The VersaMax PLC function set includes a subroutine call statement. Create a "Push" Subroutine and a "Pull" subroutine. Call one subroutine or the other depending on the position of the selector switch.

Steve probably has a better way to do it. Here is how I've seen this done before.
GEsub.jpg
If the rungs are assembled in an order like above then the subroutine will become active one plc scan after the selector switch turns on. It will also exit the subroutine one PLC scan after the selector switch turns off. If you use the selector switch as a permissive it will turn off the rungs or outputs before the subroutine is closed.
GEsubinside1.jpg

gesubmain.jpg

If there is a safety concern or a equipment concern with a loss of power on the selector switch causing the machine to switch from pulling to pushing. Then you need to use a three position PULL OFF PUSH selector switch. This way the machine would stop if there was a loss of power to the selector switch.

Disregard the next image I could not figure out how to delete it.šŸ™ƒ

GEsubinside.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks for the replys.
Since each program was only 20 rungs long, I just wrote a new program joining them together. I installed a Selector switch to choose either Push or Pull and then In each rung that pertained to pushing I just put a NC contact first in line and any rung that pertained to pulling I put a NO contact first inline. Everything works fine and my boss is happy!
In the end thats the important part -> Boss Happy = Good!

Thanks again for the advice, I am sure I will be back for more.