Hello and question

This is probably not one of the questions people usually asks here, but here it is:

I had ~6 years' of experience as a controls engineer back a few years ago, working with various real-time process control projects using PCs, microcontrollers, and PLCs. I consider myself a solid controls engineer with good hands-on skills. Now I am teaching in an engineering department at a university. While I do an alright job on everything that a faculty member is supposed to do (teaching/research, etc.), I really miss the practical application part of my days as a real engineer and wished to partially go back to the industry. My idea right now is to offer PLC-related consulting services during the summer months (as I don't teach) and my spare time (possibly 10-15 hours/week) in spring/fall.

As I have very little work for the university this summer, I have been talking with a few companies for opportunities in the past three weeks. While most of them seemed to be interested enough, I haven't landed anything firm yet. So I am asking here to gain some insight from you all: how feasible you think my idea of temporary/project-based consulting sounds like?

Thanks a bunch in advance for your inputs.

PS: I tried to check with the rules to make sure this question is appropriate here but was unable to find any answer. I hope it is...

Anyone willings to provide any perpectives like market needs, places to find opportunities, or possibe issues? Or even better, if you have anything can be subconracted, I will be more than happy to help.

Below are three small projects I used for demo purpose:

Tank level control with enhanced PID. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncqdAGaYZRA&app=desktop

Beverage can packaging. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj52GwIlphs&app=desktop

Garage door control. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBzmAI1LOo&app=desktop

When I was in university, a lot of the professors did research/consulting for companies in the state, as part of some sort of state business/industry collaboration initiative. It might be possible to ask around among the other faculty to see if those sorts of things exist in your area.

mk42

many schools have an "advisory committee" - usually made up of local industry leaders ... that might be a place to look for leads ...

Thanks to both for the reply. The ideas make sense.

This is a great community for controls. I'll certainly introduce my students here.

Don't overlook your school's Placement Office. Their contacts in the companies that come to campus to interview your engineering grads may also be aware of projects that could use some extra help from time to time. Also, if your school has a co-op or internship program for engineering students, whatever office that manages the program has valuable contacts.

Thanks Steve. Great idea!

Was just turned down by another opportunity, possibly because of short summer availability and remote location. Need to focus more on local opportunities.