HMI directly controlling PLC via PC

m221guy

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and really new to the world of PLCs. This may seem like a really dumb question but is it possible for a HMI to directly control the memory values in the PLC?

Im currently using an Schneider M221 PLC and there are several PID controls in the software. Just curious if its possible to to have some sort of HMI where I can directly control the values inside the PLC via a PC.

Thanks!

Absolutely. Pretty much every hmi on the market can write values to a plc.

If using a PC you will need a driver of sorts.

Hi thanks for quick reply, is it also possible to just have some sort of SCADA interface on the PC controlling the PLC? If so, do you have any recommendations for any software or driver or hardware?

You could use, ignition, advancedhmi, wonderware, or many others to do what your asking.

My opinion if this is a one-off project go with ignition, it's easy to learn and the price is right. My favorite would be wonderware but the learning curve is somewhat steep and so is the price.

If you choose a standard like OPC-UA then you won't need a driver to write to the PLC. Not sure if this is a common approach however. . .