How long to become UL508A?

johnd_125

Anybody have a recent experience becoming a UL508A panel shop? If so, how long did it take from initial contact to being able to apply stickers to panels?

TIA...

Not long at all in my experience(2008). Costs a bunch and to me, it seemed the inspectors were more interested in money than safety. UL is not the inspector. The inspector is a contractor interested in what? You guessed it. $$$. Unless you have a regular customer that requires the listing, IMO it is not worth it. Also know that control panels DO NOT need to be UL listed. Power panels are a different story. Beware and take care thinking that 508A is needed for everything. It is NOT!. There are blood suckers out there. They come around every quarter to "check". Every quarter, you have to write the inspecting company a check. Serious coin gets transferred from you to them with no UL508A results.

Last edited:
I used to work for a couple companies that were UL508A and have built to their standard. However, so few customers request it or are willing to pay extra that it hasn't been worth it. However, now I am currently quoting a project that is asking for it.

Is it acceptable to have UL508A shop check the panels, apply the sticker, and enter the panels in their log book?

This project is nothing more than junction boxes. Terminal strips with wires coming in and wires going out. Thats it. Are they even considered ICP's ( Industrial Control Panels) and do they require labelling?

There is no need for a SCCR on a control panel. For the most part, that is what 508A is about. A power panel must have the SCCR label with correct specs on it or an electrician ought not hook it up knowing available fault current but not knowing SCCR of the panel. Simple control panels do not need to adhere. Customers will ask for the rating but the rating means nothing when there is nothing to rate. UL 508A certification is a never ending expense. Not sure but I think it would be OK to have another, certified shop check and certify. I think they may want to put their label on it if they do. The 508 labeling requires drawing references and built-by XXX for contact info. You might lose some p[ride. But, I'm fairly certain it is required.