Lenovo users read this please.

Things will only get worse in the SPYWARE industry. Companies spend a lot to track what you do and where you spend your money. This is only the tip of the Iceberg on what you will see in the future. Or what you won’t see. There will be no removal with your anti malware Software. Not to change subject but found it interesting to say the least.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/16/us-usa-cyberspying-idUSKBN0LK1QV20150216

Ron,

Just in case...

I wasn't in any way trying to dissuade you, or put you down, for choosing Lenovo for your student classes. I wish you well with them and hope they are trouble free for the duration. (y)

I was just giving my "less than one year" experience with a Lenovo ThinkPad. I'm using it now, and will continue to use it for another 2 years, God willing, until the lease is up and they replace it again, with what I won't know until the time comes?

That's the problem for me personally, I have no choice in what I have to use, whereas you do. I know for a fact that the jump from a HP contract to a Lenovo one was a cost cutting measure. Also, I wouldn't normally have the time, or inclination to be opening my office PC to fix it.

But, whether I could, or should have opened it, to attempt a "repair", is not up for debate in my case. We have a European IT Support department, based in the UK. The IT equipment is all leased 3 yearly. Under the company's lease agreement, we would not be authorized to open any leased equipment at the factory seal level. If there is an issue it goes back, or they come on site. With travel cutbacks these days, equipment nearly always ends up going back. I reckon most likely I was sent out a new machine. I hadn't taken note of the serial number or anything specific, so I don't know for sure. All I know is it was wiped and I had to spend a lot of my busy time, not IT's, sorting it all out.

Maybe my gripe is more with our IT department's poor support than Lenovo equipment being "bad"? That's kind of what I meant at the end of my last post.

For me, even if I was the original purchaser, it's the lost time, data and configuration that's the real expense, not the cost of the machine, and whether I get it replaced for free or not. Free and wiped is no good, to me.

I do like the 23" ThinkVision monitor though. :oops:

Regards,
George

Greetings George ...

believe me - my post had NOTHING at all to do with your earlier one ... I was just giving a company that had favorably impressed me a word of recommendation ...

I have every reason to believe that there are sturdier - more reliable - brands out there – but for the "classroom" use that I have in mind the Lenovo E440 ThinkPad should meet my needs ... I know that the little 600X models that I've been using have taken tons of abuse – and they keep coming back for more ... sure – they don't make 'em like they used to – but I've been satisfied with the E440 that I've been experimenting with for the last several months ...

if I could run Windows 7 on the 600X models then I'd have no desire – or reason – to change them out ...

so – one more for me – six for the student stations – and one extra "ready to go" spare sitting on the shelf ... plus one or two spare hard drives fully loaded and ready to swap out – just in case one gets crashed during a class ... plus I get to deal with a company that has gone out of their way to keep me as a satisfied customer ...

peace ...

Ron,

Out of interest, what kind of deal are you getting on them?

I have no clue what our company pays for the T440s Ultrabooks.

p.s. sorry for tangent readers...

I bought a Lenovo one time, my touch screen went out in a matter of days, which made me sad as I loved the look and feel of the laptop, however the first thing I do whenever I buy any laptop (as I build my own PCs), is to remove the hard drive and set it aside and install my own. Then if a warranty issue comes up I have the original hard drive, but for my use I have a clean retail version of windows. Totally the way to go considering I'm addicted to solid state drives now :D