Message between Micrologix & Compactlogix

In the RSLogix 500 program, you're just making the String data available in an Integer array.

These instructions should work:

String_CPW.png

And then in the RSLogix 5000 program, you're reversing the process.

The first (offset zero) Integer word goes into the .LENGTH subelement of the ControlLogix String. The subsequent Integer words go into the .DATA[x] subelement of the ControlLogix String.

Note that the Length of the COP instruction in the ControlLogix is 82, because the .DATA structure of the default ControlLogix String is an SINT[82] array. In the Allen-Bradley operating systems, the length of a COP instruction is the number of destination elements, not necessarily bytes/words/dwords. In this case we're taking 41 INTs and unpacking them into 82 SINTs.

I don't have hardware handy to actually test this, which is why you see a lot of zeroes in the data fields. But I'm pretty confident in the logic and syntax.

String_MSG_COP.jpg

Can you crop a screenshot of your logic in RSLogix 500 and post it ? I'm certain this works in my copy of RSLogix 500, with the exact syntax shown.

I see the problem. I was confused by a similar thread in which a MicroLogix 1400 controller was specified.

If you enter the same instruction in a MicroLogix 1100 program, you get the "Invalid Data Type" error.

I'm not sure how to work around that.

We could punt and try a different approach: RA Knowledgebase Document ID 40716 suggests that the MicroLogix 1100 FRN5 and later can send a MSG Write to a ControlLogix using the PLC-5 Write message type.

In the CompactLogix /ControlLogix you would have to use the "Map PLC/SLC Messages" feature to allow the controller to consider a INT[x] array to be a PLC-5 style INT data table.