Messaging between Micrologix 1100

johnivey

I have two Micrologix 1100 units, and I would like an energized output on one unti to trigger the same output on a remote unit connected through ethernet. I am new to PLC programming, and I suspect after some research that the MSG command will work, but I can't seem to get it right. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

I know how to go msg from contrologix to micrologix but the steps shoudl be the same I hope.

Insert your msg and click on setup
Then select the Chanel, then set up if you want that PLC to read or write, then which data address you want to use

This is what works for me. I have two Micrologix 1100s connected to a hub. The CH1 comms channels are set for ethernet. The IP addresses are 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11. In the 192.168.1.11 PLC I add two rungs. The first rung is a MSG instruction MGxx and the second is the MGxx/DN OR MGxx/ER to Unlatch the MGxx/EN flag.

The MSG instruction is a read set as follows:

This controller (I find this confusing!)
MSG 500CPU Read
Data Table address is where in the other controller you want to read from

Target controller
Timeout 33 (not sure where I got that)
Data Table address is where you want to write the data in this controller.
Local Multi Hop Yes

On the MultiHop tab set

This Channel 1 Ethernet/IP Device (str) 192.168.1.10 (the PLC being read from)

You dont need any code in the other PLC.

So you should be able to read a flag across from one PLC to the other and then use it to drive your slave output. If the comms fails you get a timeout - test it by removing a patch lead from the hub.

Al

I followed your instructions and setup the screen below, the only things I can't figure out are the Routing Information File, I created one but am not sure what data to put in there, and also this setup gives me a programming error:

Rung 0 ins 1; ERROR: Local Address may not be an I/O file type for READ Command Type.

What am I doing wrong? I have an output that energizes on the main controller to ring a bell for 10 seconds at specified times. I want to match this on the secondary controller.

Thanks
John

plc.jpg

Is the snap shot from the PLC that's reading the status of the other?
If so You need to change the address to a binary or integer. You cannot directly read to an output. Then in your logic, move the value from the binary file to the output.

The routing file will contain the multi-hop information you enter under the multi-hop tab at the top. You do not have to directly enter anything into the routing file, just fill in the information on the tab.

Last edited:
I am still having issues getting it to trigger the remote output. Is there an easier way than MSG, like some way to slave one controller from another, and address the remote ouputs directly?

See attachment. When the output comes on you will write a 1 into N7:0 of the target controller. Use N7:0 in the target controller to energize your output. Modify as needed. Make sure that you can ping both controllers.