ML 1200 switch between DF1 / ASCII?

There's no easy or practical way to switch between System and User mode programmatically in MicroLogix controllers. If you need to monitor the controller AND run an ASCII function at the same time, you need a two-port controller.

Because you're planning on using an Ethernet connection for monitoring the controller at the same time as you're running a User-mode application on the serial port, the MicroLogix 1100 is ideal for your application.

The MicroLogix 1200R fills a slightly different application niche; the "monitoring" serial port is fixed at 9600 baud, DF1 Full Duplex. You should only use the monitoring port for a DF1 PanelView, or an RSLogix 500 session, or a low-demand SCADA port.

The regular Channel 0 port on a MicroLogix 1200R does all the same things (User Mode and System Mode with DF1FD/DF1HD/DH485/ModbusRTU) as the ordinary MicroLogix 1200 does.

i didn't read the whole tread so sorry if i miss something.
if i understand correctly you don't need to switch ports at all.
price of 1100 is very attractive. have one 1100 with DF1 port, have another 1100 with port configured for ASCII, both can be programmed and MSG each other through ethernet.