Need help with safety relay

mike3475

Hi, Guys:
we have safety relay 440R-G23216 with reset function, in our application we jumped Y1 and Y2, the reset button one wire connects to S33 and another wire connects S34. S12 and S52 connect to E-STOP buttons . Y32 (SRM01_Status) going to PLC input unit.
i don't know what will response if I press reset button.
anyone has idea?
thanks!

Last edited:
Do you mean you have the e-stop button contacts BETWEEN S12 and S52 or that you have S11 going out as the source for the e-stop string and each channel string is coming back into S12 and S25? What are you doing with S21 and S22?

The way you describe it I would expect nothing to happen when you press the reset button.

Keith

That part number is a Minotaur MSR142RTP safety relay. The technical data sheet is 440R-IN064.

Y1 and Y2 are meant to run through auxiliary contacts (often called K1 and K2) on a motor contactor to provide output confirmation.

S33 / S34 is the Reset input, so that's correct.

"S12 and S52 connect to e-stop buttons" suggests that you're using a two-channel E-stop button sourced by S11. A wiring diagram would tell us for sure what you're doing.

S21 and S22 should be jumpered together if you're using anything except 4-wire crossfault detection. Look at those four different diagrams on the second page of the brochure.

Y32 is a normal solid state status output for connection to a PLC.

I assume you've tried pushing the Reset button.

Upon power cycle, the Y1/Y2 connection needs to be closed (and it is, because you have jumpered those terminals). Pressing Reset will reset the relay and energize its safety output.

But because the Feedback circuit between Y1 and Y2 remains jumpered, those contacts will not change state when the output is energized, which the Safety Relay should consider a failure.

I'm not sure if it will trip right away, or if it will simply lock-out and prevent another start because the feedback contacts didn't change state.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ken Roach:

"S12 and S52 connect to e-stop buttons" suggests that you're using a two-channel E-stop button sourced by S11. That's fine.

You have a whole lot more faith in the human condition than I do, Ken. I'm not the type to make that assumption.

The fact that he didn't mention S21 or S22 at all tends to give me pause. The "recommended" connection for a two-channel contact device would have one of the contact strings between S21 and S22. If you don't do that you still need to do something with S22.

I don't think the relay monitors Y1 and Y2 EXCEPT at the instant of reset. They need to be closed at that time. I don't believe the relay monitors the Y1/Y2 status outside of that.

Keith

I am sorry to unclear post.
S21 and S22 connect to ground. S11 connect to +24V. S12 and S52 connect to two series E-STOP buttons.
thanks!

another question:
what will happen when I press reset after the two E-STOP buttons not pushed/pulled out and the two E-STOP buttons pushed/locked?
Thanks!

OK, so it sounds like you're using a single-channel e-stop. Two buttons with one set of contacts each, in series, are functionally a single channel.

S21 and S22 should be connected together, not to ground.

S11 should be the source for the e-stop circuit that runs through those e-stop buttons and into S12 and S54.

With basically none of the circuits except the power supply and the status output correctly connected, I can't predict how the relay will function.

Those manuals are not very easy to read because of the way they're set up for translation, but they do show you good example wiring diagrams.

we have two ESTOP buttons( in series) with two channels which connect to S12 and S52, S21 and S22 connect to 0VDC, Y1 and Y2 are jumped, Y31 connects to source (+24V), Y32 (SRM01_Status) going to PLC input unit. S33 and S34 for reset button.13 and 23 and 33 and 43 are going to source.
14 going to three servo drives (X1+Y1+Z1) (same Kinetix300) SAFE_IN1 (STO.4) in parallel,
24 going to three servo drives (X1+Y1+Z1) (same kinetix300) SAFE_IN2 (STO.6) in parallel.
34 going to another three servo drives (X2+Y2+Z2) (same Kenitix300) SAFE-IN1 (STO.4) in parallel,
44 going to the three servo drives (X2+Y2+Z2) (same Kinetix300) SAFE_IN2 (STO.6) in parallel.
Basically in our application one ESTOP can stop all six servo drives when they are in motion.
I will post Y32 response when press reset button after Estop pressed then released and Estop not pressed later.
Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by mike3475:

we have two ESTOP buttons( in series) with two channels which connect to S12 and S52,

Connect S12 and S52 to what? Connect them together? Connect them to something else?

S11 is an internally "isolated" 24VDC supply for the e-stop devices string. It should NOT be connected to the 24VDC supply to the relay (A1 for example).
While there are several ways you can wire this up, the suggested method to provide cross-channel shorting detection is to jumper S11 to S52, connect one of the e-stop devices contact strings between S11 and S12 and connect the other e-stop devices contact string between S21 and S22. There is no need in this circuit to connect S21 OR S22 to the relay supply common (A2) since S21 is already the module internal common.

Keith