Open source PLC

to run on Pi, it looks like there are 3 options: OpenPLC, CodeSys, and NodeRed. NodeRed is developped by IBM guys, and is more like Labview with nodes. Any thoughts on these options?

Last edited:
Codesys is not open source.
Node-RED seems to be more IEC61599 than IEC61131. I am not sure how well that has taken off, but it is not really a PLC programming language but a IoT programming language. It is also still v0.15, it would be hard to justify in a control system. Looks nice though, as an IEC61599 editor.

I would say only OpenPLC meets the topic of "Open Source PLC" and your requirement "to run on Pi".

Having never used OpenPLC, only looked at screenshots, I cannot comment on its reliability.

There are millions of Codesys installations, so maybe the 35 Euro price tag for a licence is worth it? I am not too familiar with Codesys runtime licences, so I don't know how many features you don't get with the base licence.

If I was brave enough to use a pi, I would be brave enough to use OpenPLC though.