Panel inside a panel labels and markings

Rson

Currently, I’m working on an exercise to see if I can be “arc flash compliant”. (I know most of us aren’t)

I’ve been reading up on many of the arc flash requirements and it seems there is no way around putting on the flash suit for any panel with 480 / 240 / 120 VAC. (per NFPA 70E 130.7(C)(15)(a) – you can’t go below PPE category 1 for AC)

With this in mind, I’ve been considering the interior Arc flash enclosures (like http://www.saginawcontrol.com/partnumber_info/?n=SCE-100AFSD) for all of our projects moving forward. Since most of my work involves simple motor control (1-3 motors typically) I’m going to try opting for the larger interior enclosure and keep all 480 behind the interior enclosure.

My question comes in how to mark/label the panel on the inside/outside. Obviously, I will mark shock/arc flash hazard on the interior enclosure and use a 480VAC sticker. Should I also do so on the exterior enclosure?
The whole point is to be able to open the main enclosure without needing the suit if a customer requires in their facility. However, the on/off disconnect is interlocked with the main door – not the sub-panel door. The sub-panel door does require a square key to get inside, but it is not in any way interlocked with the handle (other than the fact you need to open the main door to access the sub-panel door)

I think at this point I’ll just play it safe and tag both doors, although I think I only need to tag the inside as arc flash / 480VAC.

My next thoughts are to try and see whether double-door enclosures would be more economical (I doubt it for my size projects) or if I can get every single testing function outside of the panel (external overload reset, amp readings, voltage readings, etc)

Any thoughts / advice / suggestions?

Panel in a panel? Why?

To separate 480VAC (Arc Flash exposure) from 24VDC.

Many places use two panels, but these interior enclosures are priced a little better.

I was using lexan guarding previously, but many of my customers will no longer accept it.