PanelView Plus 700 PLC5/20

No idea what to do about this annoying error. I have tried two different HMI’s and checked the Rockwell knowledge base. Please help!

PKTX RIO Adapter driver detected block transfer size mismatch for BT1 (Rack:1(oct.) Slot:8) Driver *

Last edited:
I believe that that plc treats the panel view as a remote IO module
and all they are doing to reading and righting selected data in the plc to the RIO
from the message it looks like the RIO in the panel view went bad or you loas communication
those Panel Views have reached their end of life if you need to keep the machine running I would consider upgeadig
depending on the actual plc you have it may be better to just shift things over to ethernet
or even upgrade the plc to a Logix with an upgraded panel view

This looks like a PanelView Plus that is 20-something years old, so it's unlikely that the firmware has developed a new bug.

The error message specifies BT1, and notes Rack 1 Slot 8, and says the error is a size mismatch.

The screenshot illustrates what are probably a pair of alternating Block Transfer instructions addressed to Rack 1, Group 4, Module 0. They appear to be of size 18 Words (the BTR Read) and 19 Words (the BTW Write). They look like they are *probably* completing successfully, but I can't tell just from a screenshot.

The Knowledgebase just reminds you that you can mess up a Block Transfer by accidentally writing to the discrete I/O words in the basic I/O table for that device. If you've already checked that, then it might not be the problem.

Has something changed in this system ? Has the PLC program or the PanelView application been edited ?

Block Transfers are distinguished from one another by Rack and Slot, but also by size. The fact that those two BT's point to Rack 1 Group 4 Module 0 (another way of saying "Rack 1, Slot 4") but the error indicates that it's related to Rack 1 Slot 8 suggests those might not be the specific BT's to focus on. And BT is almost always 64 words, not 18 or 19.

I was an ace on building, migrating, and troubleshooting PanelView Plus with RIO.... in 2003.

This looks like a PanelView Plus that is 20-something years old, so it's unlikely that the firmware has developed a new bug.

The error message specifies BT1, and notes Rack 1 Slot 8, and says the error is a size mismatch.

The screenshot illustrates what are probably a pair of alternating Block Transfer instructions addressed to Rack 1, Group 4, Module 0. They appear to be of size 18 Words (the BTR Read) and 19 Words (the BTW Write). They look like they are *probably* completing successfully, but I can't tell just from a screenshot.

The Knowledgebase just reminds you that you can mess up a Block Transfer by accidentally writing to the discrete I/O words in the basic I/O table for that device. If you've already checked that, then it might not be the problem.

Has something changed in this system ? Has the PLC program or the PanelView application been edited ?

Block Transfers are distinguished from one another by Rack and Slot, but also by size. The fact that those two BT's point to Rack 1 Group 4 Module 0 (another way of saying "Rack 1, Slot 4") but the error indicates that it's related to Rack 1 Slot 8 suggests those might not be the specific BT's to focus on. And BT is almost always 64 words, not 18 or 19.

I was an ace on building, migrating, and troubleshooting PanelView Plus with RIO.... in 2003.

Thanks, that’s good info.
In the error it says BT1 rack1 slot 8. What does that mean? That confuses me. A physical slot?

Thanks, that’s good info.
In the error it says BT1 rack1 slot 8. What does that mean? That confuses me. A physical slot?
It refers to logical rack 1, logical slot 8. If you are using 1 slot addressing for logical rack 1, then it would be slot 8 in that chassis. I hope I didn't just lie to you. It has been a few years. Here's a thread that is likely to be more accurate than my fuzzy memories.

There was a runtime error on my PanelView. I then had to change out the logic module along with the CF card because it had the 3.0 firmware loaded on it. I change the logic module with a later firmware since the firmware prior to 3.2 is not supported.