PanelView Standard Stuck Key Issue

MikeyN

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I recently received two 2711-K10G8 PanelView standard HMIs. One was repaired for us, the other we purchased from the company that did the repair on the first unit. I received both units with self-check 31 errors. I know this means a stuck input, and since they are both K10 units, it has to be a key somewhere (there are only 36 possibilities).

I discovered that if i press on the black overlay between the display and the numeric keypad, the "stuck key" seems to be unstuck and I can boot the HMI up like normal. On one unit I can see that it thinks the F13 key is being pressed. If I press on the overlay between the numeric keypad and the arrow keys, I can actually toggle the F13 key.

It is very likely that the displays have been replaced. The overlay does seem to stick out ever so slightly around the display. If these were touch screen models, I would definitely be concerned about creating extra pressure on the resistive input panel. Since I have never replaced one of these myself, I don't really know what is going on underneath the overlay. Is it possible that this slight elevation is causing all of my problems? Is there something I can do to alleviate the problem? I am waiting for a tech to call me back, but I have a feeling that the conversation is going to result in getting an RMA, and having to wait on a third unit to arrive.

I sell the overlays and glass and have replaced a few myself

When they come from the factory they are one piece, we sell two pieces... just to save money so you dont need to replace both if one is fine, if there is a gap it sounds like the overlay is not seated or they did not put a sealer on the glass when reinstalled (too much in a hurry)

Regardless they should be refunding you your money and/or fixing them right

Is it possible that this slight elevation is causing all of my problems? Is there something I can do to alleviate the problem?

Yes you can take them apart and see if its just something under the overlay, but I dont think I would as they may say its been tampered with and you own them now

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think there was anything I could do without voiding the warranty, but it never hurts to ask. The next time we are in need of repair, I might just head over to your site and get the components to do the repairs myself.

We also do repairs, my repair guy is a member here and does a great job

Good luck with your HMI, you also my want to start thinking about a upgrade, the old 2711's are getting harder to find and repair

If you would like, either you or he could PM me some info. The next time I am in need of a repair, perhaps I can get you guys to quote it for me.

The upgrades are coming, slowly but surely. Within the next couple of years, we might actually be saying goodbye to the last of our PLC5 systems.