Question about continuing education

KNeland

I have been working in PLC programming/controls/instrumentation, for a bit more than a year.
My education to enter this field consists of only a 2yr technical degree from a Tech School program called "Instrumentation and Industrial Process Control".
Most of the students coming out of the program usually start out with industrial maintenance/ Instrumentation....that kind of thing. I really got lucky and my first job out of school was as an engineering technician doing mostly AB programming and technical drawings with fun instrumentation fieldwork mixed in. Fortunately for me, even though we had only 1 trimester of any kind of PLC training (a very broad overview), I have picked it up well and learned right off the bat from some talented people.
My question involves which direction to further educate myself to maximize my potential in this field.

I have made the decision to work on finishing a bachelors degree in engineering, but need to work out the best way to do that via online/night classes while I continue to work.
Another issue is which discipline to pursue.....The guys I worked with right out the box all had Electrical Engineering degrees, though they learned the programming/controls aspect of their work through field experience...not from school.... I was thinking about computer engineering, but that is it's own can of worms.

As it stands now, I have worked out the method to complete an Associate's degree by finishing a few needed classes through an area Community college.
There is a university not far away(with a local campus branch) that offers a form of electrical technology engineering degree, but I have to investigate that more closely. In the end, I want to stay working as an industrial programmer/integrator (Very enjoyable work), So I want to find the best path to follow that will specifically apply to this field...

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

It comes down to what is best for YOU. Every person is different, with differnt knowledge, different lifestyles, different locations, different job opportunities. In general, the "better" your degree, the more jobs you will be quaified to fill, but this is only one small part of the balance between school and experience.

If you enjoy what you are doing now, from here it seems that the Electrical Technology degree would suit you well. If you eventually want to move on up the ladder to project engineering or project management, then a BS from a 4-year engineering school will be helpful (along with a Professional Engieeer license).

If you enjoy what you are doing now, from here it seems that the Electrical Technology degree would suit you well. If you eventually want to move on up the ladder to project engineering or project management, then a BS from a 4-year engineering school will be helpful (along with a Professional Engieeer license).

Thanks for the reply..

I do enjoy what I am doing now indeed. I am finding that most of what makes one better at this kind of work is experience. As things move along, I am constantly experiencing "first time" situations....with the joy that the next time I come up against that kind of situation, I have a tool in the shed for it. With the job situation I have found myself in, I am getting a premium "full meal deal" as far as hands on in the field and behind the laptop.
I started this career mid life (needed a change) after going back to school in my thirties. I don't envision at this point working toward being a project engineer or doing project management.
I have worked with some others doing the same work as myself who went back for the engineering degree to improve their credentials and job potential. It seems a smart move for myself if I can continue to work and get the juicy experience while I do it. I'll say this....as I am sure many on this forum have experienced, I learned more in the first 2 months in the field than in all my 2 years of tech school.
My issue is finding a way to fit the schooling in while keeping the job.....Basically what is available via distance learning/online and such. As I mentioned before, the university with the local branch campus is looking good, but I wished for curriculum more oriented to this specific kind of work.