Ramp up analog output with ladder Rockwell Studio 5000

josumaru

Hello! Hope you are great. I need to make a change in a PLC with ladder logic. I will mount a analog valve and I need to control it in ramp up control. Basically en 10 seconds the analog output should be 10% 4-20mA (this is the maximum). And ever 1 second should ramp up 1%, to closet should be more fast, also with timers. Anyone can share the most efficient ladder logic to do it? I was thinking with timers and MOV fuction, with comparers. Less and GTR.

In function block we have the RMPS but not in logic. Thank you buddies!
Greetings,

so you know your output must range from 4 to 20, and your ramp timer ranges from 0 to 160(S), right? So there is a formula you can multiply a timer.ACC by in order to produce a proportional value somewhere between 4 and 20, right?

Yes. The analog output can be a variable, I put a example of 10%. I want to ramp up until X% (4-20mA) in X seconds. I can scalate the timer to the analog output. But im looking for a good ladder logic, also I can use timer.tt until get the acc to ramp up.

An edge per second plus a CTU(ramp up) would be suitable for you. Preset = 100 let you scale 0-100 to 4-20mA and .ACC is current open%. At the same time, a CTD, preset = 100 as well, will let you close the value from open position. In the ladder, toggle Start bit to pause/continue the ramps so you can have a chance to maintain the opening under whatever condition you want.

Attachments

• bbb.jpg
    bbb.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 17
I've done this a few times over the years as far back as my PLC-5 days. What I found most straightforward was to use a timer and load its preset with the desired ramp time. Next, calculate a Real number as the timer.acc/timer.pre. Be sure to clamp the result between 0.0 and 1.0 because the timer.acc can overrun the pre by a few counts. Then multiply that scale factor by your top-of-ramp output tag and send it to the target address.

Instead of a timer you could use a timed task, and just add/subtract an amount calculated based on the cycle time of the task.

Hi,

I have attached an AOI that I use exactly for this function.

It is attached as a zip file. Download it, and then rename it to a .L5X file and import it into your software. Its pretty self explanatory how it works.

Let me know if you need any help understanding it.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• Ramp.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 9