RSLogix 500 N register into ST

I've running v12. I had to test that on a SLC 5/04, as I didn't have a 5/03 to try it on. That could be the difference.

If your N7 file at least 43 words long? That may impact it as well.

On my system (RSLogix Micro Starter Lite/MicroLogix 1100), the Source and Dest operands need to be the same data type for the COP, but not for the CPW.

So if Source is an offset into an N-file, then the Dest has to also be an offset into an N-file. Even so, many cases that should work do not work.

The N7 file is 256 elements (=words) long.

It's a puzzle.

Untitled.png

On my system (RSLogix Micro Starter Lite/MicroLogix 1100), the Source and Dest operands need to be the same data type for the COP, but not for the CPW.

So if Source is an offset into an N-file, then the Dest has to also be an offset into an N-file. Even so, many cases that should work do not work.

The N7 file is 256 elements (=words) long.

It's a puzzle.

It isn't a puzzle. RSLogix version isn't in itself a problem, but your Lite version is limiting what you can test. The problem you two are seeing is a limitation in the MicroLogix as opposed to the SLC 5. FWIW CPW is only available for the MicroLogix processors, except the MicroLogix 1000. Check out the instruction help for both the CPW and COP instructions. CPW tells you that string is supported in MicroLogix 1400 series B controllers. COP shows that string is only supported in specific 5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 processors.

using a SLC 500 5/03

---

found this that spells it out (a link to Rockwell)
https: //rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/22714
Converting data from an Integer (N) file to a String (ST) file

Side note
all my data in the N registers is in ASCII being sent to a printer (has been working for years)
I want to display a small amount of this data in the AdvancedHMI software.
And to display the text in AdvancedHMI it must read as a ST file.
the C-More software allows you to designate a N register as any data type..

Thanks to All !!!!!!
Your link is for a Micrologix. You need this technote that applies to the SLC 5/03, 04, 05:
ID: QA2284 | Access Levels: TechConnect

Basically, the COP instruction can work, but the Length parameter needs to be 1 and the first element of the N file needs to be the length of the string (number of characters). I think there is a mistake in the Rockwell example where they show a length of 3 in the COP instruction example.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help...
Got It working

B253/1
First I used a buffer because the full length of the string included print control commands.
I was worried how Advanced HMI would handle it.
It displayed the name the way I wanted it.

B253/0
Then I used the "full length" string (what I used for the print string).
The Advanced HMI display is fine.
I guess the control characters are ignored.
EDIT:
I was wrong. the control characters are NOT ignored.
My string was not long enough. If I max out the character length the line return and line feed bump the text up..

Note: the 1st word of the COPy is the length of the string

1708551067576.png

1708551082090.png

Last edited: