Rslogix 5000 fatal error opening any project

patrickmoneyy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All, I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix this for a few days and need some advice.

I have V19.01, v20.05, V21, V24, V30, V31, V32,
&V33

All versions produce a fatal error when opening a project, or creating a new project.

V19&20 produce a EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
V21 and up produce
Invalid Pointer

I've reinstalled factory talk services platform
I've tried running as administrator
I've held shift and Ctrl while launching to clear app data
I've tried running in windows 7 compatibility mode
I verified I have .NET 4.5.2 and not 4.6
I reinstalled V19&20 before I realized all of them were affected.
I've deleted my harmony files
I saw one post that recommended opening a .l5k file and converting it back to a .ACD so I did that.

I'm not entirely sure what could have been changed in this time as this is a shared computer used for test benches, so anything is possible.

It was working on this PC the last time I used it in early January.
I created test projects in all versions and got the error as soon as they finished creating.
I have rslogix 5000 Pro activations in my activation manager. I haven't looked at them before but I assume they haven't changed since it last worked.

RA KB suggests downloading/installing one of the multi-versions. You probably need the extended version...

ID: IN10595 | Access Levels: Everyone

Studio 5000 Multi Version Installation Package​

rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1089691

Contacted Rockwell and got the issue resolved. Someone had updated activation manager to V5.01.
If Factorytalk services platform is lower than V6.30, installing Activation Manager V5.01 will cause the fatal errors I described.
Updated my services platform and all versions of L5K are working again.