SLC 5/04 Communication Issue

Are you sure that the serial port of the docking station gets assigned as COM1 ?
You can check the serial port in Windows Device Manager.

Do you have a backup of the PLC program ?
If you can investigate what the CH0 port is set to in the offline program it can take away a lot of trial and error.
I am sure that it is assigned as COM1. Everytime I connect the docking station, I check the COM port setting.

I have a backup program and will check what the COM port is set for.

Thanks!

Hello, I'm also trying to establish a connection to SLC 5/04 using null modem cable through RS232 DF1 device driver. I have the backup copy of the current program and channel 0 is configured correctly for DF1 Full Duplex. Used two different computers, one with windows xp SP2 and another with windows 7. Both computers has physical com ports. Tried auto configure as well as manual settings, but no luck for two days.

In the end I was about to give up, I was constantly clicking on auto configure button and all of a sudden the connection was successful. I was able to go online as well as perform upload and download. At the same time I tried the second computer with windows 7 and the connection was successful on the first try. I was able to perform the same operations on the second computer as well.

On second day same connection problem. I'm not able to connect with either computer. Nothing was changed. I tried clicking on the auto configure button a numerous times, but no luck.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello, I'm also trying to establish a connection to SLC 5/04 using null modem cable through RS232 DF1 device driver. I have the backup copy of the current program and channel 0 is configured correctly for DF1 Full Duplex. Used two different computers, one with windows xp SP2 and another with windows 7. Both computers has physical com ports. Tried auto configure as well as manual settings, but no luck for two days.

In the end I was about to give up, I was constantly clicking on auto configure button and all of a sudden the connection was successful. I was able to go online as well as perform upload and download. At the same time I tried the second computer with windows 7 and the connection was successful on the first try. I was able to perform the same operations on the second computer as well.

On second day same connection problem. I'm not able to connect with either computer. Nothing was changed. I tried clicking on the auto configure button a numerous times, but no luck.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

If a comm port is intermittently working then there is a chance that something is already trying to open the comm port, especially if it's a physical comm port.

reinstall the comm port and reinstall RSlinx to clear any odd configurations that are trying to open it. I've had a situation before where RSlinx had something in the background that would continually try to open any comm port from 1-7 and then close after a few seconds, then open again. Something with FTView DF1 serial driver being set to automatic and it continually trying to autoconfigure a communication that doesn't shut off.

* Verify comm port isn't being used
* Monitor the comm port with a loopback and see if something is trying to send data through it after opening it
* verify that the comm port driver is good in windows, may need to reinstall it
* Linx or another piece of software could be attempting to use it intermittently, which is why you were able to eventually get it to open by hitting the button a lot.

If a comm port is intermittently working then there is a chance that something is already trying to open the comm port, especially if it's a physical comm port.

reinstall the comm port and reinstall RSlinx to clear any odd configurations that are trying to open it. I've had a situation before where RSlinx had something in the background that would continually try to open any comm port from 1-7 and then close after a few seconds, then open again. Something with FTView DF1 serial driver being set to automatic and it continually trying to autoconfigure a communication that doesn't shut off.

* Verify comm port isn't being used
* Monitor the comm port with a loopback and see if something is trying to send data through it after opening it
* verify that the comm port driver is good in windows, may need to reinstall it
* Linx or another piece of software could be attempting to use it intermittently, which is why you were able to eventually get it to open by hitting the button a lot.
Thanks for the reply.

Looks like SLC 5/04 itself or the RS232 port on SLC side is defective. Got a new unit & connected on the first try. Worked with both computers without any issues.