SLC 5/05 Devicenet scanner configuration.

randy741985

I have a new Project which will be a SLC 5/05 With A Devicenet Scanner I don't have The Part# of the Scanner it will be communicating with a valve manifold I don't have the Part#.

With out that Information my question is Generic, I understand the device scanner will have X amount of I/O words, how does the I/O words get mapped to the remote node addresses and will I need some software other than RSLinx classic. Also will the manifold have a EDS file.

Thanks in advance.

The valve manifold will almost certainly have an EDS file; you will have to obtain it from the valve manifold manufacturer.

RSNetworx for DeviceNet will run for Nodes 0 through 5 in "demo mode", so if you have a very small network and can obtain the unactivated software through your distributor you can configure the network that way. Otherwise you will have to purchase a license for that software.

I very strongly prefer to use a 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD to connect to the DeviceNet when configuring a 1747-SDN scanner, but it is possible to connect to the network using the 1747-SDNPT "passthrough" driver in a pinch.

DeviceNet is a little more complicated than old-fashioned Remote I/O, but if you pay attention to the basics (power supplies, cable length, termination) it works very well.

If the valve manifolds are simple devices with a fixed I/O size and they are the only devices on the network, you may wish to try the AutoScan feature, which allows the 1747-SDN (Series C with 8.00x firmware) to automatically set up a scanlist without the use of RSNetworx.

It generally is a function aimed at OEM users with a strong understanding of DeviceNet. It's described in detail in the 1747-SDN User Manual, Publication 1747-UM655.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um655_-en-p.pdf