Stack light wiring

Highrpm

Hi All Just getting my first post outta the way here.

I have project to get a AB Stack light 855E to run with a micrologix 1400. I've never used AB in the field so part of this exercise it to get more aquanted with RSLOGIX.

How do I wire this stack light to the outputs on the PLC? I have a small test code written to trigger an output but I cannot measure voltage out of O0:0/0

I cannot find a wiring diagram for this AB stack light. Is 0 on the light terminal considered common? if so should I run the common from the PLC terminal to the light terminal to complete the circuit?

hope that makes sense

Thanks
John

Last edited:
If you have access to this forum than you surely have access to any AB manual you can think of. You will want to find the wiring diagram as simply taking others word for it can leave you still wondering why it works and if misunderstood, taking others word for it could result in damaging the component.
Also, you will want to find a manual for your 1400 and make sure its wired correctly. As you said it, you have no voltage coming from the output. You are half way to figuring out why you have no voltage given the fact that you already know that you have no voltage. Compare the wiring diagram with what's in front of you. If its correct, and you still can't get voltage than its time to look at the code.
Also, make sure your PLC is in RUN mode. Obvious, but gets everybody now and then!!
Have fun.

I forgot to give you the Allen Bradley web site address.

www.AB.com They will have all the literature you require about any product they sell.

Google is usually a good search tool as well.

Simply google::: AB 855E and you will likely find what you seek.

Google is your best friend. You have to wire either +24vdc or 120vac (Hot) to the dc/vac common terminal for the output you're using, if not it will not show any voltage on the output because your not putting any voltage in.

Here's a screenshot of the wiring for one of these stack lights. Caution: Read your documentation to determine what voltage the stack light needs.

Stacklight.jpg

PLC Pie guy, Thanks for the encouragement. I wouldn't have made a post without checking google and the AB site first.

I can power the PLC ,write the code and download, Force bits on (I don't have any switches or buttons connected right now) output energizes.

thank you Jsu0234m I will look further into your suggestion. I may have been powering the stack light from the wrong terminal.

I can power the PLC ,write the code and download, Force bits on (I don't have any switches or buttons connected right now) output energizes.

Forgive me if this is too obvious, but did you switch the PLC into run mode after downloading, as PLC Pie Guy suggested?

PLC is in run mode

PLC is Micrologix 1400 1766-L32BWAA line voltage 100-240 VAC

stack light is rated for 24V AC/DC

Thanks for the help

Code:
1766        MicroLogix 1400 family
L32         Controller, 32 I/O points  
B           24V DC Discrete Inputs
W           Relay Discrete Outputs
A           120/230 V AC Control Power
A           4 In/2 Out Analog

Get the wiring diagram and connect up your relay outputs accordingly.

Thanks Ken. I double checked my wiring and checked the output with the PLC in run and the output indicated as on yet only seeing miliVolts AC measurement.

Looks like Ive got a few things to learn before I can turn on some lights..hahaha.

I've double checked the 120V HOT neutral and ground to be connected correctly as well.

could it be that I'm missing a parameter to set for DC output on the Relay contacts?

Sorry for all the NuB questions

Thanks Ken. I double checked my wiring and checked the output with the PLC in run and the output indicated as on yet only seeing miliVolts AC measurement.

Looks like Ive got a few things to learn before I can turn on some lights..hahaha.

I've double checked the 120V HOT neutral and ground to be connected correctly as well.

could it be that I'm missing a parameter to set for DC output on the Relay contacts?

Sorry for all the NuB questions

I can't help but think that the "Relay Output" portion is what is giving you trouble.
If you look at your outputs you will see "DC/VAC 0" and also "OUT 0" these are both contacts on that particular relay.
So if you put 24vdc from your power supply onto terminal "DC/VAC 0" and you connect your "OUTPUT" to your lamp to "OUT 0" when your program calls for O:0/0 to become true, then relay 0 will close and conduct 24vdc across its contacts and send 24vdc to your lamp.
Of course you will need to have your 24v common (or -) connected at your lamp also for it to light.
The PLC is not making 24vdc at your contact, you have to supply it.
Same goes with all the other "RELAY OUTPUTS" they are grouped together and some "Groups" have only one output contact (group 0, 1 2, & 3), some have 2 output contacts (group 4 & 5), and the the last group on your plc has 4 output contacts (group 6) that share a common voltage power terminal. (in the case of "group 6" it is DC/VAC 6 on your plc and what ever voltage you put on DC/VAC 6 will be output onto OUT8, OUT9, OUT10 & OUT11 when their corespoding output instructions become true in your program.
These are "grouped this way so you are able to output different voltages if you wish using different groups.

I think this is what you are getting stumped on, the drawing in post 4 does show you that you need to supply power to the relay contact also. Take a look at that drawing again and be sure to realize that an outside 24vdc sourse is being supplied to terminal DC/VAC0. (YOU SAID YOUR STACK LIGHT IS 24V, SO DO NOT PUT 120VAC ON THE RELAY TERMINAL, THE DRAWING SHOWS EITHER DEPENDING ON YOUR LIGHT SO DONT LET THAT TRICK YOU INTO USING 120VAC, USE ONLY 24VDC ON THE RELAY TERMINALS FOR THIS)

If this is not where you are getting hung up and you do have the relay wiring correct then post back and we will try to help you further.
(Below is a picture with arrows to help you see how the Relay Outputs are grouped, i did not put arrows on group 6 but you will get the idea of how they work if you have not already)

Be very careful that you are not mixing 120vac where you should have 24vdc or you may never get your light module to work again. šŸ™ƒ

(If for some reason you do have all the wiring correct but still do not have votage on your output then I would suspect you do not have a JSR calling your the LAD you wrote your logic in. Did you write your logic in LAD 2 or did you add another LAD? Can you hear the relay click when called in the logic? Do you have continutiy between DC/VAC0 and OUT0 when that relay is energized?)
(Hard to tell where you are getting stumped without seeing what you have or getting more feedback from you.)

BCS

L32BWAA.jpg

Last edited:
The PLC is not making 24vdc at your contact, you have to supply it.

Wow feeling foolish over here but this certainly is the solution.
I was thinking the PLC would supply the 24V.

Also rest assured I did not connect 120 to the stack light.

Thank you Bering!