Studio 5000 rev33 Tag Data

YellowRobot

My current situation is a follows:

I have two similar 1769 controllers with similar programs. Both have a UDT array that is being used to store recipe data. I would like to copy/export/move the data in the array from one controller to the other. There is quite a lot of data in these arrays so manually entering the data would be extremely tedious. Is there a way to pull the data from the array in one controller and import it into the other?

Studio 5000 ships with the Tag Upload/Download tool. It's kind of clunky but it works well for this kind of thing.

Also, I could swear I've just copied a tag in one ACD and pasted it into the other.

If the two processors are on the same network you can use a message instruction in one to read the data from the other one, assuming the UDT format is identical.

I should have stated this in the original post, this has to be done offline as I only have the .acd files. The two systems are on opposite sides of the country unfortunately.

I should have stated this in the original post, this has to be done offline as I only have the .acd files. The two systems are on opposite sides of the country unfortunately.
In the file you want to take the data from, create a rung that contains a reference to the tag -- I usually do a COP with it set as both source and destination. Then export the rung.

In the file you want to change the data, import the rung and set the tag to 'overwrite' instead of 'use existing' (if the tags are different names in the two programs, rename the tag to match during the import process).

I found a solution that worked decently well.
Since the udt for both programs was the same size I was able to save both programs as l5k files, copy the tag from one, paste it over the tag in the other, and then import back to studio with no issues.

You don't even have to do an export. Open up both programs in seperate instances of logix. Go to tag monitor, edit in each. You can just copy and paste the tag from one tag monitor to the other and the data goes with. If the tag names are the same, delete the destination tag first before copying the source tag. All logic using that tag will resolve when you paste it in.