Teacher needs some help with Powerflex 525.

tim_callinan

Im trying to teach a couple of labs on VFDs at a community college. We have some motor control trainers with P525s and 3 phase motors from Automation direct. The trainer also has Pushbuttons, three way switches and a POT. I've attached the lab objectives we use. At this stage, the students are fairly savvy and can read a manual and do basic wiring however they have not really used a PLC yet - just programming the VFD using the front panel. If possible- if there are any PF525 experts out there - could they have a look at the following objectives and see if they have any ideas?? Thanks for any advice...Tim

1) When the motor is running – turn on the green LED, if it is stopped – turn on the red LED. Set the max current per phase to 0.5 amps. If the current draw goes above this value – fault the VFD out and turn on the yellow LED. Demo this to your instructor.

2) Jog the motor and utilize DC braking for quicker stops - connect the blue push button to one of the VFD's digital inputs. Then, configure this input specifically for initiating the motor's jog function. Enable the DC braking feature within the VFD settings to ensure the motor stops more rapidly after jogging.

Attachments

• VFD LAB.pdf
    105.4 KB · Views: 31
i am also an instructor at a community college. this is aboslutly possible to do. what plc's do you use. we use allen bradley compact logix. when you create the 525 module in your program tree there will be tags for everything you are wanting to do. then just build your routine to turn on the outputs when the logic argument is true.

I believe all of this should be possible using the I/O of the drive if a PLC isnt being used. The only issue I see is the drive only has two relay outputs and you want 3 lights. This could be solved by using a small relay with NO and NC outputs for the running/stopped lights. If you are using a PLC then its all just module tags. The manual should show all of the different selections for relay outputs and digital inputs to make this possible.