Using 1 AB PLC and 2 HMI

Cjohan

Hi All

I am busy with a Project that will use the same Application on 2 HMI's . I have a Allen Bradley L330ERS PLC and 2x 5510 HMI.

What i want to do is to use the same HMI application but need to set control restrictions on each HMI, So HMI1 can only control and start The one section of the plant and HMI 2 can only control the Other area of the Plant. Because i am only using one PLC, how will i go about to write some code if it is possible to set This or to read and know which HMI is 1 and 2 ?

Is this Possible or not ?

Look forward to your comments !

Thank you

That is an open question, I have done it many times although not used the later AB hardware but on other systems there are two ways to look at it. develop one HMI, take a copy & in some circumstances you could use the same tags to control if both require to have access, change the tags for control on the second HMI & just use those in the PLC i.e. if a conveyor can only be started from a button on HMI 2 then the tag will only be availlable in that HMI.
Use a log on tag in your logic that depicts which HMI is requesting control etc.
It is just a matter of creating a tag list where some are the same on both HMI's (generally described as none control just for display purposes) i.e. a conveyor speed display non editable just use the same tag in both HMI's however, a button to start a particular conveyor dedicated to only one HMI then this is only displayed on that HMI.
You really need to set out what HMI controls what & then use the same tags in both if required, replace the tags in each HMI for control on that screen
To determine which HMI used the tags in the PLC I would create something like the following tag names.
HMICom_xxxxxxx Common tags for both i.e. HMICom_Conv_1_Speed
HMI_1_Conv_1_SP Only control from HMI 1
HMI_2_Conv_2_SP Only control from HMI 2
This is just to distinguish between the two HMI tags
Other tags like current page number would be different etc.

That is an open question, I have done it many times although not used the later AB hardware but on other systems there are two ways to look at it. develop one HMI, take a copy & in some circumstances you could use the same tags to control if both require to have access, change the tags for control on the second HMI & just use those in the PLC i.e. if a conveyor can only be started from a button on HMI 2 then the tag will only be availlable in that HMI.
Use a log on tag in your logic that depicts which HMI is requesting control etc.
It is just a matter of creating a tag list where some are the same on both HMI's (generally described as none control just for display purposes) i.e. a conveyor speed display non editable just use the same tag in both HMI's however, a button to start a particular conveyor dedicated to only one HMI then this is only displayed on that HMI.
You really need to set out what HMI controls what & then use the same tags in both if required, replace the tags in each HMI for control on that screen
To determine which HMI used the tags in the PLC I would create something like the following tag names.
HMICom_xxxxxxx Common tags for both i.e. HMICom_Conv_1_Speed
HMI_1_Conv_1_SP Only control from HMI 1
HMI_2_Conv_2_SP Only control from HMI 2
This is just to distinguish between the two HMI tags
Other tags like current page number would be different etc.

Thank you Parky
I will give this a Try!!

Not sure I explained it right but what I usually do is create one HMI, copy it then ensure the tags that are read only for that HMI if no control is required or delete or hide any buttons that are not required, do the same for both HMI's many tags can be the same address as they are read only so in effect we have virtually the same detail but only some tags on the HMI's are used for control, it will depend on your application if it is required to display or control from both HMI's It is worth spending a little time planning the control/display of the two HMI's. It may depend on the HMI type but in many cases tags or what is displayed can be controlled by the level entry password or just if it is an entry or just display field.