Vision system reccomendations

Another OEM used B&R IPCs. The older machine had a CFast drive. I managed to get the files off of it with a Linux Mint live USB plugged into the B&R. The USB-CFast adapter would not read it. The OEM was able to use those files to make us a new card. It lasted a couple of months, which told us that the IPC was starting to fail as well. We ordered a pre-programmed replacement from the OEM that used an SSD instead of CFast, which they'd stopped using because of unreliability. That one has all proprietary runtime software; no Beckhoff on that one.

As a turn-key robot cell installer and Certified Machinery Safety Expert all I can say to that is: :unsure:

It's not enough to imply or even say it's whacky. You have to give compelling reasons why it's whacky or can't be done. Just because you've never done it that way or never seen it before isn't good enough. It absolutely could be done for some robot applications and/or other use cases

ISO 10218-1:2011, 5.8, includes provisions for a pendant control having an enabling device (ISO 10218-1:2011, 5.8.3) and an emergency stop function (ISO 10218-1:2011, 5.8.4).

Even the Cobot standard (ISO/TS 15066:2016) states the same UNLESS a risk assessment deems that not necessary.

I rest my case.

ISO 10218-1:2011, 5.8, includes provisions for a pendant control having an enabling device (ISO 10218-1:2011, 5.8.3) and an emergency stop function (ISO 10218-1:2011, 5.8.4).

Even the Cobot standard (ISO/TS 15066:2016) states the same UNLESS a risk assessment deems that not necessary.

I rest my case.

So why are you assuming neither of those functions could be integrated into the controller??

Put it this way, I've been in industry long enough as both an end user and now integrator. As the former, if someone came in with an xbox controller and an e-stop cellotaped to the side of it, it would be twice they had the opportunity to work there - the first time and the last time.

You do you, and I'll do me (guided by standards).

Put it this way, I've been in industry long enough as both an end user and now integrator. As the former, if someone came in with an xbox controller and an e-stop cellotaped to the side of it, it would be twice they had the opportunity to work there - the first time and the last time.

You do you, and I'll do me (guided by standards).

R.E.L.A.X. I'm just putting out there on what's possible with PC control. Could a PS4 controller be integrated into the control system for some use cases? Sure, use your imagination. Could it be converted to a simple robot teach pendant for some smaller, simpler robot applications. Sure, why not? Nobody said anything about cello-taping an E-stop on the side of it. That's just you assuming again. :ROFLMAO:

So long as I'm not in a submarine controlled by a console controller, remember how that one ended :$

I wouldn't want to have to work on a stamping press that's run by a PS4 controller, and probably not a Xbox one either.

I still remember one PLC back in the 90's that their handheld programmer was the Sega equivalent of a Nintendo GameBoy with a cartridge and programming cable.

When doing a film system for bottling lines. I clear object detection through beam sensors with beam narrower.