VMware with Studio 5000

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
If I had a laptop using Studio 5000 AB software, Could I use vmware with allen bradley software and other various softwares so that if my laptop went down, I would still have access to the software at a customer's location?

So here is what I gather from your post:

You already have a laptop with Studio 5000 on it.

You are concerned about the possibility of your laptop crashing, and losing the use of your Studio 5000 software, on that laptop.

Is this correct?

You are interested in possibly installing Allen Bradley software (Studio 5000?) on a virtual machine (VMWare, in your post), so that you can still use the product in the field, in the event that your laptop crashes.

Now, my question is this: where do you intend to install this virtual machine, that you could use it if your laptop is disabled?

Shane

The virtual machine (a VMDK file) can be copied from the disk it resides to another machine and launched using VMWare.

But that other machine would also require VMware to be installed. We are assuming Workstation here as the free Player (actually now called Workstation Player) is not licensed for commercial use.

So personally I keep a copy of all my VMs on a couple external hard drives. Then I use the VM on my local machine and local hard drive. I also keep my VMware software install file and a copy of my license stored externally.

If my computer dies or the hard drive crashes I can then install the software on my replacement system and then copy the VM back to the new/repaired computer.

But, I probably would not install my software using my license on a computer that wasn't mine.

So Shane's question still applies. How do you intend to access your software if your laptop is disabled?

OG

Purchase two machines? Purchase a reliable one? Purchase two reliable machines? Carry an ESXi server cluster with failover enabled?

Once an operational virtual machine was created, I would save a copy of it to my dropbox. If my normal laptop ever became unusable, I could run the bset buy, purchase a laptop, install vmware on it, go to dropbox and get a copy of my virtual machine (and also get a copy of my customer file), and be back in business.

VMware handles virtual machines the best but you might also look into VirtualBox, they do pretty good as well.

Just watch out for the licensing on VirtualBox. The appeal is "FREE". But...

If you are using it in a commercial use, as we all would be, the Extension Pack is not licensed for this use. You must purchase a license. And for me at least, the Extension Pack would have been necessary for it to be usable.

VMware has a cost too. I think people mistakenly believe they can use VirtualBox for free.

OG