Weidmuller Ethernet/IP to SLC5/05 Connection

fredmatic1

I have a little problem. I have a number of now classic SLC5/05's with which I am hoping to connect to Weidmuller ER20-FCB-EIP I/O nodes. I have searched the Allen-Bradley knowledge base libraries and also on the net for a piece of example code, to no avail. While Weidmuller makes some pretty good hardware, they have limited 'non-German' manuals and even more limited explanations of their code. My SLC5/05's are OS500, Rev. C's and cannot be upgraded to OS501.....so no EEM instructions available. Can this be done with the MSG command? Is there any way to send the Attribute/Class/etc. required by the blocks?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Unfortunately, what you want will not work for several reasons.

The first is the essential "they aren't meant for that": SLC-5/05 controllers are not designed, advertised, promoted, or supported to create and operate cyclic I/O connections on Ethernet.

Your SLC-5/05's sound like they are very early units, as much as 25 years old. My recollection matches yours: OS500 Series A could not be upgraded even with a physical EEPROM plug.

So not only do they not have EEM instruction support, they don't even have EtherNet/IP transport to send messages to ControlLogix. They can only use CSPv4 to perform data table reads and writes with other PLC-5E, PLC-5/250, and SLC-5/05 controllers.

I don't know the Weidmuller products in detail, but I have never seen a third-party I/O product that implemented A-B CSPv4 and emulated SLC-500 data tables for I/O control. Even A-B variable speed drives that emulate SLC-500 data tables only do it over EtherNet/IP transport.