What would be the equation used to control a CL2 dosing pump that is peristaltic?

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Have a job where we're using peristaltic pumps to dose CL2 for wastewater, pretty standard 4-20mA flow pacing signal being used, no PID loops or anything like that. The one thing I'm not sure about, however, is how to write an equation for said pumps since they're peristaltic and don't have a "stroke". Every CL2/caustic dosing pump I've written logic for has had a "stroke" input.

Wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to tackle this, thanks!

I'm not sure I understand the question, but if the pumps are peristaltic, then their discharge flow rate should almost perfectly correlate to pump speed. I.e. if speed doubles, the flow rate doubles.

When you have a PD pump with a "stroke," do you send a speed to a motor going continuously, or do you send signal to "do one stroke/cycle now?"

Because as @rupej wrote, one rotation of the roller(s) should deliver a more or less fixed volume of fluid; once you determine that volume, the calculations should be identical to a PD pump.

220px-Peristaltic_pump.gif

Last edited:
The pump specs should give you the displacement per revolution. So if it’s 1ml / revolution at 1000 rpm you would be getting 1000ml per minute and then convert accordingly. Or sometimes they give you the pumping capacity at full speed and then give you the speed parameters.