Averaging values with A Controllogix L61

440_Man

I have a process that is using a mV signal to control a PID loop. Currently, the mV signal is experiencing a +/- 1 mV noise. In this process, +/- 1 mV is a tangible change. I would like to take a sample of ten mV readings every second, then use the average of those ten readings to control my process. I am fairly new to ControlLogix, so detailed help with the instructions would be appreciated.

thanks,
440_Man

IF4XOF2F/A analog card
Digital filter for the mV input is set at 1000 milliseconds
RTS for IF4XOF2F/A is set at 25 ms
PID loop is in a periodic task set at 100 ms time period

That card is not made to measure mv. The resolution is probably your problem.

See PDF

Thermocouple input modules have mv ranges.

Last edited:
Mickey, my range is from approximately 800 mV to as high as 1.500 volts.
Is there a better card for my application?

Last edited:
Found the formula FV=FV+C(NV-FV) while digging through the forum. I will implement this and let the process run a few hours to see if this filter will work for me.

thanks for the help!

Mickey, my range is from approximately 800 mV to as high as 1.500 volts.
Is there a better card for my application?

A mv transmitter may be a better option, that would give you an input in the 4 to 20ma range or 0 to 10 volts etc.