Stratix 8000 Setup

gstephens

Anybody have the trick to Setup on a 17830-MS10T.
Using "ipconfig" it shows the IP of 169.254.0.1.
Following the "Setup" procedure in the manual... it won't take the password: switch. Tried another CF card(1783-MCF) with the same results.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!

1) How are you trying to communicate with the switch?
2) Can you see ANY information at all from the switch?
3) the 169.254.x.x address range is usually assigned when a network adapter is configured for DHCP, but no server is available. The adapter generally can't talk to anything at that point.
4) Don't Stratix switches generally have a normal 192.168.x.y default address?

rdrast,
Using a Toughbook with XP Pro sp2, IE 8, Java 7. Crossover cable.
When setup is launched port 1 flashes the cable is plugged in, as soon as enet shows connection IE is started it asks for the Username and Password. The manual says to leave the Username blank and use "switch" as the Password. after 3 tries "401 Unauthorized" is displayed. Below is a passage from the Manual:

While the Setup status indicator flashes green, start an Internet browser
session on the personal computer and navigate to
http://169.254.0.1/express-setup.htm.

It depends on the firmware of the switch. The username should remain blank (Don't enter anything) and the password will be switch or password again depending on the firmware and don't go the firmware listed on the label because it may have been flashed after the factory flash.

Also on some browsers like when using IE 7 and above some fimware will need a username of a. The switch does not need it but you can't access the web front end without it.

Well, tried all combinations, caps, lower case with and without the Username "a". Still no luck. would really like to use this switch for my intranet: 1756-L61, SLC 5/05 and a PLC-5/40E and 2711P-T12C4D2. But, as it won't let me in to change the IP then......

The passwords I listed work and I have zero doubt in that. They are all lowercase.

It sounds like the switch has already been setup and you don't know the password if the default passwords do not work then it has already been setup so you will have to find the settings or the person who set it up or do a factory restore on it then you can set it up per the manual.

These are your only options.

I had the same issue a couple of years ago with two different Stratix 8000. We had four of them on the job and two worked with the default password and two did not. I was racking my brains trying to figure out what was going on. In the end I followed the procedure for resetting to factory default and then I was able to use the default password. All four were identical and brand new right out of the box. Go figure!

Also if you don't want to do a factory reset you can try to login using default passwords and the console cable. This will rule out a browser issue.

The GUI interface is very picky and various things in the browser can cause problems with it. I always use the console or Cisco Networking Assistant.

Try to reset switch by holding "Express Setup" button for about 10 seconds
then it reboots use express setup again and you should be able to get express setup window.
Make sure your computer is set for DHCP

I would try a different browser. I always avoid IE, I know Chrome works with the Stratix and Firefox also works. As far as your password you are correct, keep everything unplugged. Press the express setup button, port x will flash, connect your cable (you can use a straight through as well). 169.254.0.1 on your browser.
User Name:
Password:switch

That should get you right in. If not I'd factory reset it as mentioned above and try again.