Can't export tags....RSL5k v28

Nebul0us

Lifetime Supporting Member
So....I have done it before, but for some reason, exporting tags isn't working. When I go to the Tools tab ----> Export- --> Tags and logic comments...nothing happens. The window flickers a few times, but that's it. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Have you tried to save the file as l5k and re-import into a new program? I have seen in the past were the acd file itself gets a little wanky, and the l5k cleans it up. You could otherwise try to compact the file, but i'm thinking this is a straight call to Rockwell for help, being 28 isn't that old yet - might be a bug.

Have you tried to save the file as l5k and re-import into a new program? I have seen in the past were the acd file itself gets a little wanky, and the l5k cleans it up. You could otherwise try to compact the file, but i'm thinking this is a straight call to Rockwell for help, being 28 isn't that old yet - might be a bug.

Thanks mort81 for the reply. It was a good idea, but now I am even more worried because the file won't let me do a 'save as' either. It does the same kind of nothing that exporting tags does. This is really starting to worry me. I might need to start over with a new project file, but I really would like to find another way because I have a few days work in to this one. I really don't want to redo all of my IO...

What does compacting the file do?

I went ahead and made a video so everyone can see exactly what I am seeing...

I also want to note that I can export tags with other projects...it seems to be isolated to this particular project.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz62KGWRjsc5T05fbG1nenJ6T0k/view?usp=sharing
Man that is wild. I just tried again and had no issues.

What version of FT Services Platform are you running? I'm running 2.80 with January's roll-up.

I would also try what mort suggested, export the whole program and then bring it in as a new one and then try. Weird stuff man.

https://imgur.com/5bunHyf

Can you download the project to the PLC, move your program file to a different folder so RSL5K can't find it, then upload creating a new file in RSL5K?

Just an update...

It's not isolated to the project file as I said earlier. I tried making a new project and both the 'save as' and "export tags...." aren't working with any project I create using v28. My previous version projects are still working fine. Tried a few things with tech support with no luck. They suggested reinstalling v28 so that's what I am doing now. Will update again....thanks everyone for the help.

Can you download the project to the PLC, move your program file to a different folder so RSL5K can't find it, then upload creating a new file in RSL5K?

Aabeck, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately our PLC for this project is in shipping and not here yet. Also, wouldn't I lose my tags if I uploaded a new file from the PLC?

I noticed in your video that you're using Windows 10.
If the error is still there after your reinstallation, it would be a good test if you installed V28 on a VM with Windows 7.

ControlLogix PLC's download all descriptions & comments, so if you upload from the PLC and create a new file you will upload the entire project, and hopefully a working copy that you can have full functionality with.

Compacting helps clean up some "leftovers" in the ACD file. Here is a reference link for some more on the topic.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=49248

I agree with the others, I didn't catch the windows 10 OS, you should create a VM and see if you have any issues with win7. Rockwell won't help you much once they know your on an unsupported OS.

ControlLogix PLC's download all descriptions & comments, so if you upload from the PLC and create a new file you will upload the entire project, and hopefully a working copy that you can have full functionality with.
Granted it's v21 or newer and this check box was checked when they downloaded: http://imgur.com/Gf7rYvk

Any update Neb? Have you been able to try a VM of Win7?

Just wanted to give ya'll an update for anyone struggling with this. I just had this problem with Windows 10 and V28.00. I couldn't even do a "save as" with this version.

I just upgraded to V28.01 and now I can export.